cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Branch Exchange (PBX) service

Methos8
Level 4

On a client, is this service necessary?  What does it do?

We were advised by a tech at Symantec that only media servers needed it so we've had it disabled on all of our clients.

I'm getting the feeling that that was incorrect advise...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6

DOCUMENTATION: Does Private Branch Exchange (PBX) need to be enabled on all NetBackup 6.5.x Windows clients?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/306419

Manual: NetBackup 6.5 Installation Guide for Windows (page 15)

Modification Type: Addition

Modification:
In NetBackup 6.5, Private Branch Exchange (PBX) is included in the initial installation for all Windows clients.

PBX only needs to run if the Windows client is also a SAN client, or if the client is also a NOM server or VBR server.  Otherwise, the Service can be disabled.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Stumpr2
Level 6

Notes for Private Branch Exchange (PBX)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/306215

Notes for Private Branch Exchange (PBX)

NetBackup requires the use of a product called Private Branch Exchange (PBX).

PBX helps limit the number of TCP/IP ports that NetBackup uses. It also allows all socket communication to take place while connecting through a single port. The PBX port number is 1556.

Because PBX is required for all NetBackup products, its installation is part of the NetBackup installation procedure. The only exception is when it exists prior to NetBackup installation.

When you install NetBackup on a server, the installation process detects if a version of PBX is already installed on your system. Whether PBX is already installed causes one of the following to happen:

• If PBX does not exist, it is installed automatically with NetBackup. A default port number is used, along with a default configuration.

You can change the port number used by PBX if you choose to perform a custom installation of NetBackup.

• If an earlier version of PBX exists, the installation process updates it automatically. Any existing default conditions are maintained.

If PBX exists prior to NetBackup installation, you cannot change the port number that it uses. If you change the port number, other Symantec products may fail.

When you remove (uninstall) NetBackup, PBX is removed if no other Symantec product is dependent on it. If there is a dependency from another product, PBX is not removed.

For more information about PBX and how to configure NetBackup ports, refer to the NetBackup Security and Encryption Guide.

Stumpr2
Level 6

DOCUMENTATION: Does Private Branch Exchange (PBX) need to be enabled on all NetBackup 6.5.x Windows clients?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/306419

Manual: NetBackup 6.5 Installation Guide for Windows (page 15)

Modification Type: Addition

Modification:
In NetBackup 6.5, Private Branch Exchange (PBX) is included in the initial installation for all Windows clients.

PBX only needs to run if the Windows client is also a SAN client, or if the client is also a NOM server or VBR server.  Otherwise, the Service can be disabled.

Methos8
Level 4
Perfect thats exactly the definitive answer I was hoping for.

YES_fan_-_RobD
Level 3

I understand that where it is a separate install on a Unix server, PBX is automatically installed as part of a NetBackup 6.5.x install/upgrade on a Windows machine, be it a server or client, but, is a PBX installation a requirement for Unix clients which are also part of a NetBackup 6.5.x upgrade?

One other question, can PBX be installed on Unix master and media servers currently running 5.1 in well in advance of upgrading the server to 6.5??

Thanks!

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I understand that where it is a separate install on a Unix server, PBX is automatically installed as part of a NetBackup 6.5.x install/upgrade on a Windows machine, be it a server or client, but, is a PBX installation a requirement for Unix clients which are also part of a NetBackup 6.5.x upgrade?

Nope!

One other question, can PBX be installed on Unix master and media servers currently running 5.1 in well in advance of upgrading the server to 6.5??

Thanks!

I suppose so - why not?  Sure!  It won't be USED, but there's no harm in installing it.

YES_fan_-_RobD
Level 3
Thanks, Chris!  With quite a number of media servers to upgrade (13), that'll be one less task on each box that I'll have to perform on upgrade day.  Smiley Happy