Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems restoring VMware backups w/ Netbackup 6.5.2

Avateq
Level 0

Hi All,

We have a problem restoring VMware backups with NBU 6.5.2

We are using a proxy server with the VCB, backup works great, I simply can't browse the backups from BAR.

I used the Symantec Netbackup installation guide for VMware backups and everything installed smoothly. I must be doing something wrong with the client end. I get the usual WARNING: server(servername) does not contain any backups for client (clientname) in the BAR client.

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2

Miguel_Pedrosa
Level 2
Couple of things...did you change the policy type on BAR, and if backed up as such did you enter the fully qualified domain name?  Cheers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends how you backed up the VM's.

- did you do a Mapped-FullVM or just a FullVM

Under the Select for Restore dropdown in the BAR GUI there is an option to select Restore from Virtual Machine instead of the default checked Restore from Normal Backup

If you want to restore the FULLVM then Restore from Virtual Machine.

If restore from the Index Mapped VM then just as normal Restore from Normal Backup.

However, for anyone using NetBackup for VMware I would thoroughly recommend, if you haven't already the recent Webcast on VMware's site. Great background and discussion of the technology and how to setup NetBackup for VMware.

http://www.vmware.com/a/webcasts/details/137

Plus a couple of info bits from the webcast ...  a Linux VCB proxy is coming sometime 2009...(great!)

This will hopefully allow file-level restores on Linux too.

However, this flies in the face of recent announcements at VMWORLD 2008 where there is an initiative to completely remove the need for a separate VCB proxy server and just to use the VCB API going forward with their other initiatives announced.

Also make sure you are using a user that has the privilege to RESTORE a VM within your ESX environment.!

I got caught out by creating a Virtual Consolidated Backup user in Virtual Center, giving it only backup privileges, whereby I followed some web pages details on creating this user. What they failed to highlight is you need more privileges to restore the VM! SO watch out.

Message Edited by Stuart Green on 10-29-2008 04:22 PM