cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Media owner in scrath pool

Nikos_Leman
Level 3
I I have a problem with my netbackup 6.5.1

I have 2 Pools wich are backin up on Tape, and a scratsch with tapes tahat can be used.

PROBLEM:
Alle my tapes in the scratch pool, has no media owner, and therefore cant be used in the other 2 pools. I can move the tapes manualy to the pools, but will they be used then.
And if i try to change the media owner, i get the following message

Headline: Netbackup Administration Console

No Volumes owned by a media server group have been selected!

How do i get theese tapes active?

i have attached an image of the error and the tapes wich is just There, and without no use at the moment!

BR
Nikolaj Nielsen
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
So you're ok there.

Can see from your output that all tapes are active too, so we're good to go there also.

Is your scratch pool actually configured as a scratch pool?
- right-click on the volume pool 'Scratch' & select change. Ensure that the Scratch Pool box is ticked.

All these tapes are are configured as HCART3 - I presume all your tapes/volume pool are configured as such? (If they are different,  eg HCART, then it would be that there are no scratch of the correct 'type')

***EDIT***
What exactly was you attempting to do when you got the "error message" on your attachment? (Sorry just noticed it despite the fact that it stands out a mile :o )

***EDIT2***
Realised you were trying to change the media owner - just tried it on our scratch (same result by the way)

***EDIT3***
From the help pages:
"...The media owner defines who can write to the volume. The volume must be assigned and owned (that is, it must contain valid backup images) before you can change the owner..."

***Last (honest) EDIT***
You could probably safely ignore the edits on this page ;)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
So you're ok there.

Can see from your output that all tapes are active too, so we're good to go there also.

Is your scratch pool actually configured as a scratch pool?
- right-click on the volume pool 'Scratch' & select change. Ensure that the Scratch Pool box is ticked.

All these tapes are are configured as HCART3 - I presume all your tapes/volume pool are configured as such? (If they are different,  eg HCART, then it would be that there are no scratch of the correct 'type')

***EDIT***
What exactly was you attempting to do when you got the "error message" on your attachment? (Sorry just noticed it despite the fact that it stands out a mile :o )

***EDIT2***
Realised you were trying to change the media owner - just tried it on our scratch (same result by the way)

***EDIT3***
From the help pages:
"...The media owner defines who can write to the volume. The volume must be assigned and owned (that is, it must contain valid backup images) before you can change the owner..."

***Last (honest) EDIT***
You could probably safely ignore the edits on this page ;)

Nikos_Leman
Level 3
Check mark is set, in the scratch pool.

so that means, that the tapes will bee used, wenn there is no tapes left to be used in the other 2 mentioned pools?

Could be, that im just panicing to early :)

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
It should be that if all is set up correctly then NetBackup will take a volume from the Scratch pool when there are none available in the volume pool that it is currently utilising.

If you haven't had any failures (e.g. Status Code 96 errors) then either you have more than enough tapes in your volume pools, or NB is quite happily assigning them from the scratch pool when it needs them.