cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

root password

Salman_Qureshi
Level 4
Hi,
I am taking file system backup of my ho unix server using veritas backup. I am very new in veritas backups and my previous DBA stup all this backups. I want to know that where veritas backup stores the password of root user so that it could connect to the server and take the backup of file system. i want to change the password of my root user on my hp unix server and i also want to update veritas so that my backups don't fail.
Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6
Netbackup does not use login ID and passwd for backing up and restoring clients. Instead it uses TCP/IP port to connect. The client needs to have its bpcd daemon in a listen mode. you can check that on the client with netstat. The client also has to have the master and media servers in the bp.conf file so that the client can recognize it as a valid server to use the TCP/IP port. So go ahead and change your root passwd. Backups will not fail from the changing of the passwd.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

scorpy_582
Level 6
Hi,
You can change the root password of your client. You do not need to update anything in netbackup.
Netbackup does not store any passwords. Neither does it require the root password.

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
NetBackup starts the client service on client using root. so that it can read and write the data on the client.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Netbackup does not use login ID and passwd for backing up and restoring clients. Instead it uses TCP/IP port to connect. The client needs to have its bpcd daemon in a listen mode. you can check that on the client with netstat. The client also has to have the master and media servers in the bp.conf file so that the client can recognize it as a valid server to use the TCP/IP port. So go ahead and change your root passwd. Backups will not fail from the changing of the passwd.