cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Netbackup licensing and Restore of old backups

SYSBER
Level 3

Hi,

I have no experience of Netbackup.... But I have a customer that have used Netbackup for several years to backup a couple of OpenVMS clients. If they stop using Netbackup and alters to another backup system - what happens if they need to restore a 2 year old backup taken with Netbackup? Are they allowed to start NBU for restore purposes without license? Or do they need to have the product licensed for the whole period they need to be able to restore the backups? Someone who knows? 

Regards,

Björn R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If they have purchased NetBackup then they should be free to use it for as long as they want to - the only thing they will not be paying now is the maintenance so they are no longer entitled to upgrades - but they will own their NetBackup installation as it stands forver!

So you should be fine however it is licensed

#EDIT# Unless you have some sort of licensing lease agreement - but i have never met anyone that has that type - if the customer actually purchased their licenses then they are OK

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Do they run capacity or per server license ?

SYSBER
Level 3

Hi,

Don´t know, but I´ll check...

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Check with the customer if they have a contract with Symantec, or the liceses are aquired on a retail basic.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If they have purchased NetBackup then they should be free to use it for as long as they want to - the only thing they will not be paying now is the maintenance so they are no longer entitled to upgrades - but they will own their NetBackup installation as it stands forver!

So you should be fine however it is licensed

#EDIT# Unless you have some sort of licensing lease agreement - but i have never met anyone that has that type - if the customer actually purchased their licenses then they are OK

SYSBER
Level 3

Many thanks for the fast answers!

They bought licenses lot of years ago and paid for support from since then. We´ll have to discuss the future with our custmer - stick with Netbackup and/or pay/not pay for support for the done backups retention time (several years monthly backups). Or restore all backups and make new backups with alternate backup system... a bit time consuming.

OT: Really nice to bump into a forum with such a quick response time!

Best Regards,

Björn R

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

.... stick with Netbackup and/or pay/not pay for support for the done backups retention time (several years monthly backups). Or restore all backups and make new backups with alternate backup system... a bit time consuming.

No need for this....

When a customer purchase license keys, they own that forever.
This means that they can do backup and restores with that version. 
 Forever. They don't have to pay anything for that.

If they do not pay annual maintenance, they are not entitled to upgrades or to receive support from Symantec should they experience problems.