cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quetions about Storage Unit Group

Poon_William
Level 4
Hi All,

I am trying to configure Storage Unit Group and have some quesitons that need advice.

If I select storage unit group configuration of

"Use the storage units in the order displayed in the storage unit group dialog (Choose storage units based on the order specified above)(default). "

1.  When a policy with multi-stream and the data are on one of the media server. When the job run,  will the data streams spread over to two media servers ? I tried and the jobs spilled over two media servers. I just need to confirm if this is the correct behavior.

2. The job on the media server data hold the data ran fine both the job on the other media server failed. This is expected as these are SAN media server so data will not go across Network. My question is will those failed jobs on the second media server restart on the first media server ?

I changed the Storage Unit Conifuration to :
"Use the first storage unit in the list that is not full or down (Failover). If the storage unit is only busy, the policy waits to write to it. The other storage units will be used as failovers. " I put the second media server (The one not holding the data"as the first in the list.

When I kicked off the policy, all jobs failed immediately. This is expected as it tried to use the second media server first and it is a SAN media server. My question is,

3. Will the failed jobs restart on the first media server after sometime ?

Rgds,
WP

1 REPLY 1

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Why are you using a storage group that has a server in it that cannot do the backup?

you should not use a storage group that contains the san media server as the san media server should not backup anything but its own drives.

your storage unit groups should be built with valid media servers.

if you only have one media server and one san media server then you have no use for storage groups just storage units.