cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rate limiting backup

smwoodcrafts
Level 6

Here is my set up.

Netbackup 7.0.1 on a master server running Windows 2008 R2 and a media server running 2003 Enterprise.

When running a full backup on some older Unix servers, our monitoring software can't connect to the servers and sends alerts that they are down. When I checked the throughput, I found that the incrementals run with a throughput of around 2 MB/sec and when the fulls run, the throughput is close to 10 MB/sec. Since they only have a 100Mbs, the fulls are running at close to line speed. That's why nothing else can connect.

Now my question. Is there anything I can do on my side to rate limit the backups so they can't run at line speed or do I have to go through our networking engineers and do it on the switch using QOS?

Dan Seymour

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Within the GUI under NetBackup Management/Master Servers/master_server/Bandwidth you can throttle by IP address range.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Within the GUI under NetBackup Management/Master Servers/master_server/Bandwidth you can throttle by IP address range.

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

smwoodcrafts
Level 6

Thanks to both of you for your quick response. Can I assume, if I want to put a limit on a specific server, single IP, I can put it in both from and to?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

I would imagine so!