cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconfiguring SLPs to change duplication destination

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

I have a NetBackup 8.1 environment running on Linux with a single master media server at one site and a Linux media server at a second site.

All backups first go to the master\media server's MSDP and then duplicated to the MSDP on the media server at site 2. 

For some time now, the duplicates to site2 have been very erratic dues to hardware and inter-site link problems on the media server and most of the duplicate jobs have failed, they then re-attempt and may be successful but will often fail again - I believe the nature of SLPs will mean they keep trying - which is fine as I need the data duplicated somehow.

So I now want to add a tape library to the master\media server at site 1 and duplicate the data to this rather than the over the link to site 2.

I need to get the backup images that are re-attmepting to duplicate to site 2 to now duplicate to the tape library - can this be done?

I know I can reconfigure the SLP for any new backup images , but it's the ones that are still trying to go to site 2 I want to make to the tape library. I'd rather not have to manually duplicate all the images from copy 1 unless this can be scripted somehow.

hope that makes sense

kind regards

10 REPLIES 10

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
Run nbstl <slp_name> -all_versions -L

This would tell you how many versions of slp are currently present and their configuration. make a note of the residence for backup and duplication from the output for each version

Modify the slp via the command line
nbstl <slp_name> -modify_version -version <version_number> -residence <backup_stu>,<new_stu_for_duplication>

Run the earlier command once again to verify the modification are done.. Since you are changing the storage unit from disk to tape you would need to run the command once again to update the volume pool as well or combine it in the same command as the default pool selected would be NetBackup

The changes made from the command line would not affect any SLP duplication jobs which may be currently active in the activity monitor so you would need to ensure no SLP duplication jobs are running when you execute the command

CadenL

ok - great

I'll give that a go and give an update once it's complete.

many thanks

CadenL

Hi

Can you clarify if the command suggested is done at an SLP level or will need to be done for each image that uses the SLP?

I have over 100,000 slp images that I will need to divert the duplication fora and just want to clarify if I just need to run the modify command for the single SLP they are using or if I need to run the command for each of the 100,000 images?

If it's not the first one then this would be an impractable solution unless there's a script I can use and run it against the total number of images.

kind regards

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
The command runs at SLP level.. but again it depends how many versions of SLP you have and whether all the 100,000 images are under the same slp version.. If all these images are for the same slp version then you just need to execute the command once..

CadenL

OK great - we only have 3 SLPs but, as you say, there may be several versions. There should be too many versions and I can manage that. I'm just thankful I don't need to modify each individual SLP job with the new destination.

thanks

CadenL

When I list the SLP versions I can see the 'operations' included within each SLP version. Is there an nbstl command that will allow me to delete one of the operations within an SLP?

The SLP currently has 4 operations:

Operation 1 - backup

Operation 2 - replicate to different Master server

Operation 3 - MSDP duplication to different media server

Operation 4 - duplicate to tape

I would like to delete operation 4 entirely and modify operation 3 to duplicate to Tape rather than MSDP. I can't find the command that will allow me to delete operation 4. 

thanks

Genericus
   VIP   

Do you not have access to the GUI?

SImplest way to just delete step 3, then list the version numbers at the OS, and verify the new version number

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Operations cannot be deleted or added for existing or older SLP version.

If you use GUI it will create new version and will have no impact on old backup images controlled by that SLP

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
As mentioned you cannot add or delete an operation from an SLP without changing the version.. So I would suggest to make the changes from the gui to ensure new images follow the cycle that you would like to have..

For the older images, You could modify the Slp version and interchange the storage units for operation 3 and 4 so that the slp would appear like

backup >> replication
>> duplication to tape
>> duplication to msdp

once this is done you can inactivate the slp for the storage unit pointing to the msdp for duplication and eventually cancel the operations for this msdp storage unit once all the tape copies are done..

Kind of a workaround for your situation if there are important images.. If you dont really care abt the images you can simply make the changes from the gui, get a list of pending images for the previous version, cancel the SLP for the older version and eventually manually duplicate the images to tape