cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering Catalog Error in NBU 8.1.2

Shehkh4
Level 4

The Recovery Job has finished, Logs shows this:
ERR - Failed to execute command C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpdm.exe -restoretir -jobid 4 -cn 1 -b windows_1673848876 -c windows -priority 90000 on host windows (83)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Shehkh4 

For the catalog recovery did you perform this as part of a NetBackup DR recovery, if not you may need to recover the certificate store - this can be done using the nbhostidentity command to import the DR package that was saved when the last catalog backup ran on the system you are recovering from. Something like:
# nbhostidentity -import -infile <path_to_dr_file>\<Cat-policy>_1672319922_FULL.drpkg 

You will need the catalog passphrase to complete the operation.

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Looks like it can't find the path to where the backup was written..

I would guess, you are trying to restore data on the master server, that was backed up to a disk on the master..... If this is the case, unless you have access to the disk, and have the image files on it, you will not be able to do the restore.
Please provide more details as to what you be are trying to do...

Are you performing a DR?
Are you trying to migrate master using backup and restore method?

I was performing a DR and then I copied the media files to its storage, that's how I was able to do Catalog Recovery. Everything is showing the policies, backup, client etc but Certificate Mgt is giving Error with status 130. Can you explain this?

Hi @Shehkh4 

For the catalog recovery did you perform this as part of a NetBackup DR recovery, if not you may need to recover the certificate store - this can be done using the nbhostidentity command to import the DR package that was saved when the last catalog backup ran on the system you are recovering from. Something like:
# nbhostidentity -import -infile <path_to_dr_file>\<Cat-policy>_1672319922_FULL.drpkg 

You will need the catalog passphrase to complete the operation.

Cheers
David

Actually, I didn't install NetBackup with Disaster Recovery rather First Installed NetBackup & then restored the Catalog backups that's why I have to do it now.

Oh, Thank you so much btw we will use the .drpkg file for this?
Also, Do you know how to do this with GUI instead of command line if we can do it?

I don't know today when I opened Host Mgt and Certificate Mgt it showed me the entities, I think it is because today a new Catalog backup ran according to the schedule, don't know Exactly.

Hi @Shehkh4 

For DR package recovery it is only available via the command line (unless initiated by the DR installation mode). And yes it uses the .drpkg file created with the NetBackup catalog backup. 

As for now showing the entities in host & certificate management - interesting and not sure I can explain that - to check everything is okay - try to connect to the clients via the host properties - if all is working there, then there should be no problems.

Cheers
David

Currently Client has the old Certificates so if I remove those certificates and Deploy new Certificates then I'm 100% sure it will not give any problem to me, and the client will be connected too.

I wanna ask 1 more thing that we don't need to give the same IP to the master that we will recover , it's not necessary right?

Hi @Shehkh4 

As long as all your clients and media servers can resolve the new IP address it will be fine (and if you use DNS then this should be straight forward). You may need to use the "bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache" command on some clients to clear the NetBackup local host cache if it doesn't connect properly).

Cheers
David

Hi @davidmoline 

Thank you so much!

I think we will have to change /etc/hosts file if we have any New IP, right?

Cheers!!! (Thank you so much, Man from the core of my heart to help me!)

Hi @Shehkh4 

If you don't have working DNS then yes you would need to update the /etc/hosts file. To change the IP of the master, the file to update is typically /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface>. 

David

Hi @davidmoline Thanks, yeah, I know that, but my Master is Windows Server 2016 but still, Thanks a lot.

(Can I get a Kudo, hehheh)

Cheers!