Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduce logging whilst backup is running

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

Is there a way to reduce logging (legacy)(bpbkar) on a client whilst a backup is running?

A backup was started with log level 5 and the bpbkar file has now grown to 2GB in 3 hours.
I have reduced the log level on the client to 0(zero) refreshed all, bprdreq -rereadconfig, logging is still at verbose 5.
I understand that on initial backup start of the policy, it reads the configuration and continues, now I have to stop/reduce the logging or the server will run out of disk space.

Unix Master server - NB 6.5.6
Client - Windows 2008R2 -
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5
No exactly an ideal solution but the following seemed to have worked.....

Suspended the backup, waited for bpbkar process to terminate, and then deleted log file
Resumed backup - log level now at 0.

The log level was changed a while prior to suspension of the job, hence did not have to wait for reread of config which by default is 10 minutes.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Will_Restore
Level 6
copy nul <logfile>

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5

Thanks
Unfortunately the command does not complete successfully as the bpbkar log file is in use -

The log file that is growing is on the client server(Windows)
now at 2.5GB

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5
No exactly an ideal solution but the following seemed to have worked.....

Suspended the backup, waited for bpbkar process to terminate, and then deleted log file
Resumed backup - log level now at 0.

The log level was changed a while prior to suspension of the job, hence did not have to wait for reread of config which by default is 10 minutes.

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5
I would like to know if this is still possible without suspending the backups.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I believe that the verbosity level is only checked when the bpbkar process starts, so as soon as that bpbkar starts, you're stuck with the verbosity level as read until that process ends - whether on its own or because you have to kill it.

(The bpbkar logs should show this, too - "Log Level" notification only occurs at the very beginning of the logs of each bpbkar)