cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Netbackup Java administratro console issue

FlyMountain
Level 6

we are having a remote netbackup java admin console issue. it worked great before. After we migrated our master to new hardware (same hostname but different IP), we can lauch the remote java console but very slow, "storage device configuration" will fail with connection error. Did #telnet <master> 1556 testing from my desktop (windows xp), it worked.

local java console which launched from master (HP-UX 11.31, 7.5.0.6) works fine.

any idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You say it is slow but I assume it does actually work if you have got to the device wizard

I would be most inclined to look at your network and how you PC gets to the Master Servers new network address

Maybe try adding your Master Server name and IP address to your PC's hosts file and your PCs name and IP address to the Master hosts file to cut down the time / hops it does to communicate - a different IP address may mean a different vlan and how you route there could be the issue

Take a look at how many hops are made when you use the following from your PC (though it may be the return route that is the issue):

pathping mastername

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Java admin console also requires vnetd port 13724. Does Telnet to that port work?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You say it is slow but I assume it does actually work if you have got to the device wizard

I would be most inclined to look at your network and how you PC gets to the Master Servers new network address

Maybe try adding your Master Server name and IP address to your PC's hosts file and your PCs name and IP address to the Master hosts file to cut down the time / hops it does to communicate - a different IP address may mean a different vlan and how you route there could be the issue

Take a look at how many hops are made when you use the following from your PC (though it may be the return route that is the issue):

pathping mastername

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Also is admin console and master server netbackup version same?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you updated you local hosts file with Master hostname and IP?
Or are you connecting to IP address?

My experience has been that the Java Console does not 'behave well' when connecting to an IP address.

turguns
Level 5

approx. two weeks ago I faced similar problem..

In our system existed some clients and mediaservers which are not used for a long time. By deleting them from emm server..I solved the problem. Because EMM server trying to fetch this inactive server and load time will be more.

I think your action should be check all the clients and media servers host list...( /etc/hosts)...

Because you changed your  master server IP.. and some clients hosts list  not updated yet.. so EMM server trying to fetch but couldnt reach them...

FlyMountain
Level 6

Thanks all for your replies.

We are using same version 7.5.0.6 for our NBU master and Java console. Since the new master is not in our domain yet (still in testing stage), i have added IP to short and long name mapping to both master's /etc/hosts and my windows client host files for both master and my client.

The master is a fresh installation. From local Java console which launched from master (jnbSA), seems we are OK. But from any remote clients, we are having issues. I can login but slow, any time if i attemp to launch "configure storage device", after a few mintues later, i got a error "A connectiont to <sever name> cannot be estiblished, please check all services and daemons are up and running". Confirmed all daemons started. we currently doesn't have DNS enabled on master, we are even having same issues before any catalog reocvery on the clean master.

Not sure what part we are missing.

Here is some java logs i captured.

new-mmdcux17@/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpjava-susvc# cd ..

new-mmdcux17@/usr/openv/netbackup/logs# ls

README.debug bpbrm bpjava-usvc mklogdir nbemm nbim nbliveup nbrmms nbsvcmon

bmrd bpjava-msvc bprd nbars nbevtmgr nbjm nbpem nbsl nbvault

bmrsetup bpjava-susvc bptm nbaudit nbftclnt nbkms nbrb nbstserv user_ops

new-mmdcux17@/usr/openv/netbackup/logs# cd bpjava-msvc

new-mmdcux17@/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpjava-msvc# ls

log.022714

new-mmdcux17@/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpjava-msvc# more log.022714

09:48:23.884 [17779] <2> logparams: bpjava-msvc -transient

09:48:24.265 [17780] <16> command_LOGON_TO_MSERVER: putenv(BPJAVA_MASTER_IPC_STRING=) failed

09:48:24.271 [17782] <8> vnet_vxss_java_login: [vnet_vxss_helper.c:2372] Ignoring VxSS USE_VXSS = PROHIBITED

09:48:24.274 [17781] <16> isVxssActive: authentication determination failed, assume none required: (193) VxSS authentication is requested but not allo

wed

09:48:24.777 [17780] <4> bpjava-msvc: NEW_LOG closing debugFD and seting NB_INVALID

09:48:25.786 [17779] <16> poll_listen: can't find file descriptor in polling table

09:48:25.786 [17779] <4> bpjava-msvc: NEW_LOG closing debugFD and seting NB_INVALID

10:10:17.537 [18840] <2> logparams: bpjava-msvc -transient

10:10:17.707 [18841] <16> command_LOGON_TO_MSERVER: putenv(BPJAVA_MASTER_IPC_STRING=) failed

10:10:17.713 [18843] <8> vnet_vxss_java_login: [vnet_vxss_helper.c:2372] Ignoring VxSS USE_VXSS = PROHIBITED

10:10:17.716 [18842] <16> isVxssActive: authentication determination failed, assume none required: (193) VxSS authentication is requested but not allo

wed

10:10:18.134 [18841] <4> bpjava-msvc: NEW_LOG closing debugFD and seting NB_INVALID

10:10:19.140 [18840] <16> poll_listen: can't find file descriptor in polling table

10:10:19.140 [18840] <4> bpjava-msvc: NEW_LOG closing debugFD and seting NB_INVALID

10:12:08.492 [19033] <2> logparams: bpjava-msvc -transient

10:12:08.790 [19034] <16> command_LOGON_TO_MSERVER: putenv(BPJAVA_MASTER_IPC_STRING=) failed

10:12:08.797 [19036] <8> vnet_vxss_java_login: [vnet_vxss_helper.c:2372] Ignoring VxSS USE_VXSS = PROHIBITED

10:12:08.799 [19035] <16> isVxssActive: authentication determination failed, assume none required: (193) VxSS authentication is requested but not allo

wed

10:12:09.317 [19034] <4> bpjava-msvc: NEW_LOG closing debugFD and seting NB_INVALID

10:12:10.328 [19033] <16> poll_listen: can't find file descriptor in polling table

10:12:10.328 [19033] <4> bpjava-msvc: NEW_LOG closing debugFD and seting NB_INVALID

new-mmdcux17@/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpjava-msvc#

FlyMountain
Level 6

Looks like we have to turn off the DNS on my client to make the communication to master work well. we have DNS disabled on master as well. Not sure why.

Surprisely the windows administrator console works fine even i have DNS enabled on client and have DNS disabled on master.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If it is DNS causing the issue then using the hosts files as i suggested previously would also resolve your issue to cut out that level of communication

It may not be so much that DNS causes it but maybe it is just talking to the wrong DNS and something has not yet updated

If the new Master is not yet on the domain then anything coming back from DNS is likely to be wrong and so until it is on the domian and DNS has been updated correctly then just use hosts files

After all the first letter of DNS stands for Domain - and it is not in it yet!