cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote installation of Netbackup 7.5 Client failing on windows platform

thomas_crowe
Level 2

I've run into a couple of problems with remote installation of Netbackup 7.5 client on WIndows platforms.

On all Windows platforms - the "log on as a service" privlege is not added to the selected user except on the local machine when using an account other than "local system" account.  This results in an administrator still having to touch each system to add the appropriate privleges for the client services to startup.

On 64-bit platforms - The "Import" function to import a list of servers to install on is not working. I've observed this in the 7.5 client installation and the 7.5.0.1 patch installation programs.

On 64-bit platforms - The user performing the installation must have previously logged into the target machine otherwise the installation will fail.  This is due to the installation program creating a temporary registry key under the HKEY_USERS/{SID} subtree.  If that subtree does not exist the installation will fail.

Has anyone else ran into these issues?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dan_Sutherland
Level 3
Employee

Hello, Thomas.  I am a member of the Windows installation development team.  Our NetBackup Windows Installation Guide stresses the importance of executing installations as users with context on the hosts where installation will occur.  These statements were taken from our 7.5 guide:

Page 33: The installation account must have administrator privileges on all the remote systems...

Page 71: Log on to a system with network access to all of the hosts where you want to install NetBackup. Be sure to log on with administrator privileges.

If using an account with administrative privileges on the target hosts, the account should already be granted the "log on as a service" privilege, and the HKEY_USERS registry key should be defined.

We believe the issue you experience with inability to import hosts from a list is an error in the installer.  We have corrected this issue and a modified 7.5 package is available.  Please contact NetBackup support for details on how to retrieve this modified 7.5 package.

I hope this helps.  Please respond if you have questions or if you would like to discuss this in more detail.

Thank you,

Dan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Bmitche
Level 5

I ran into this same issue....I muscled my way though it by doing 175 individual installs.

Dan_Sutherland
Level 3
Employee

Hello, Thomas.  I am a member of the Windows installation development team.  Our NetBackup Windows Installation Guide stresses the importance of executing installations as users with context on the hosts where installation will occur.  These statements were taken from our 7.5 guide:

Page 33: The installation account must have administrator privileges on all the remote systems...

Page 71: Log on to a system with network access to all of the hosts where you want to install NetBackup. Be sure to log on with administrator privileges.

If using an account with administrative privileges on the target hosts, the account should already be granted the "log on as a service" privilege, and the HKEY_USERS registry key should be defined.

We believe the issue you experience with inability to import hosts from a list is an error in the installer.  We have corrected this issue and a modified 7.5 package is available.  Please contact NetBackup support for details on how to retrieve this modified 7.5 package.

I hope this helps.  Please respond if you have questions or if you would like to discuss this in more detail.

Thank you,

Dan

Dan_Sutherland
Level 3
Employee

Upon further investigation, we were able to recreate this issue internally, and we recognize the need to directly register the "logon as a service" privilege with a custom service account during Windows remote/push installations.  We've modified our Windows installers to address this.  You should see this change reflected in our future releases.  If you would like us to provide this functionality for past releases, please work with your support contacts to open an official request and we will work to provide the packages.

Let us know if there are questions.

Thank you,
Dan

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Dan, maybe good idea to publish TechNote with eTrack and EEB info?

Turnaround with Support is normally a LOT quicker if TN/eTrack/EEB details is supplied as part of the initial call.

Perhaps also mention issue in 7.5 LBN?

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

With Dan's help, this TechNote is now available:

BUG REPORT: Unable to run remote Windows clients installation using Windows clients import file list at "Symantec NetBackup Remote Hosts and Features screen".
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH187101

(The EEB mentioned in this TechNote is also mentioned in another thread here on Connect, but I don't know if it will resolve the original poster's issue:
 http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/pushing-windows-client-upgrade-fails)