cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replicate over WAN

Rob_Dullaart
Level 5

Hello, 

A couple of weeks I configured replcations for a remote site. It all works fine technically, however when leave this replications running during daytime hours the site gets unreachable and the people overthere complain about that the network is slow. The whole site depends on the WAN connections. So I start the replications at 20:00 but then if the replications don't finish before 6:00, then I have to stop them. This is when people start working there. 

It gets less and less, in the beginning I had to stop 12 or more jobs, and now this week it where about 5 replication jobs which I had to kill. In the daytime I then cancel the replication queue with nbstlutil. So when the new backups start it starts with a fresh replicate. But I don't want to get up at 6 to cancel those jobs. I hope it will finish before 6 in some weeks maybe. But is there a way to automate cancelling the jobs? Or prevent them from running after 6? The window one can configure in the SLP policy doesn't stop the jobs, it just prevents it from starting new jobs. 

Thanks, 

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

If the window close NetBackup will try and suspend active jobs. However, some jobs cannot be suspended so you have two futher options you can select, "Finish Processing" or "Cancel". These are available from the advanced tab of the secondary operation in the SLP.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Hello,

If the window close NetBackup will try and suspend active jobs. However, some jobs cannot be suspended so you have two futher options you can select, "Finish Processing" or "Cancel". These are available from the advanced tab of the secondary operation in the SLP.

Rob_Dullaart
Level 5

hmm, that might be what I am looking for. I have configured this and I will monitor it tomorrow morning. 

Do you have any expiriance with this setting? 

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

I've never set it to cancel, usually keep it set to let the active ones finish. Please share the result.

Marianne
Level 6
Please discuss bandwidth requirements with your management. There is no point in configuring replication if you constantly need to cancel it. The outstanding amount of date to be replicated will just get more and more... and your DR site further and further behind.

Rob_Dullaart
Level 5

When I logged on to check this morning just a little after 6am, the replications where stopped. There where 4 remaining jobs, now they are still in the queue and tonight they will start again when the window opens. So the setting actually does what I want, I can sleep after 6am :) 

When I started this there where like 15 jobs remaining, I expect it will solve itself, because the main site will recieve more and more data and then it will be deduped better so less data has to go over the WAN. 

BTW I also already told management the WAN connenction is not thick enough and that they need to clean up the data or get a bigger WAN. 

I will monitor the jobs on Monday morning once more and then I take it for working. 

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Cool.

As Marianne mentioned, no manner of funny tricks will make up for a lack of bandwidth. Something has to give, you add more bandwidth or reduce the amount of data to replicate.