cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Data from diffrent Tape Library

chiragshah
Level 2
Employee Accredited
if we have 2 library. Backup is taken from Library A, which is busy with backup jobs. How do i restore the data from Library B? is there any document which can help me to understand the steps of the same..
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Instead of using FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER I would re-assign the media with :

bpmedia -movedb -m <media_id> -newserver <new_media_server> -oldserver <old_media_server>

Restore will kick off right away, assuming media is present and a drive with the right density.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
NetBackup sends the restore request to the same media server that did the backup and needs a drive on that media server with the same density.
If your 2nd library fits this criteria, just put the media required in the library, inventory the library, and you're good to go.
If the original media server cannot see the drives in 2nd library, you will have to assign the restore to a media server that does. You need to add FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = source_media_server  new_media_server in master's bp.conf (or via Host Properties).
If the original backup was written on e.g. LTO 2 (hcart2) but the 2nd library has LTO 3 drives (hcart3), you will have to change at least one drive to hcart2.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Instead of using FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER I would re-assign the media with :

bpmedia -movedb -m <media_id> -newserver <new_media_server> -oldserver <old_media_server>

Restore will kick off right away, assuming media is present and a drive with the right density.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Excellent suggestion, Nicolai.
FORCE_RESTORE will redirect all restores for the original media server, while movedb will only change ownership for the required media.

One more thing - if you will use another media server for restores, ensure that the clients recognize this media server as valid SERVER.

Jan-Olof_Erikss
Level 5
Hi,
I do mutilpe copy,s to 2 different lybrarys, in order to restore from library 2 I had to change the backup-id to primary in libary2 , that was  a pine...How ever in 6.0 MP5 and on it's a piece of cake.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/287293

This is not for the problem you got, but perhaps good to know.

/regards
/Joe