cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Drive

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hello Experts,

We have 8 drives and we need 7 for backups and 1 for restore. We have SSO and 3 ( 2 Media servers and 1 master servers ) are accessing these 8 drives.

Pls let us know how can we acheive this.

Thanks,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you make max drives in all media servers 7, it means that each media server can use 7 drives simultaneously. So you can see that all 8 drives will eventually be used when enough backup jobs are active. Storage Units cannot select any specific drive. It is allowed to use any of the drives in the robot with same density. So, if you read through my previous posts again, you will see that you need to change the total number of drives across all media servers so that the total number add up to 7. E.g. master - 2 media1 - 2 media2 - 3 ----------------- TOTAL - 7 But only you can decide on these values. Total number of 7 drives across all media servers as per above example will guarantee 1 drive always available for restores. Not a specific drive.

View solution in original post

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Opps, good point Marianne ...  Yep, of course, multiple STU wlll still use all drive as you suggest.

Only way that might work is to leave one drive dowm, then after you start a restore, up the drive and hope the restore picks it up, and not any running backup job.

Other option, is to zone only one drive to the master, and remove that drive from all other media servers, and run all backup jobs on the media servers, and restore jobs on the master.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
Level 6
Not really possible with SSO. Unless you split the total number of drives across the STUs so that they add up to 7. This may lead to jobs getting queued if all the drives cannot be used for backups. It is normally easy enough to suspend some backup jobs when an urgent restore is needed.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As Marianne explains, you can set the number of consecutive write drives in the storage unit to 1 less than the numnber of drives you have.

So, if you have x8 drives, set it to 7.  This means that only 7 drives will be used for backups/ duplications leaving 1 free, which could be used for restores.

If, at the moent all your jobs struggle to complete in time, using all x8 drives, reducing this to x7 is probably not going to be a good idea.  However, if your jobs complete with loads of time to spare, then you maybe able to drop one drive without any major impact.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Think it can be done by creating a Storage Unit with 7 drives, but still configure all 8 drives on the master & media servers. At least that was a solution in earlier versions of Netbackup, have never tried it myself as restores always started pretty fast because of their high priority.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne
Level 6

In this environment where there are at least 3 STUs, it won't help to make max drives 7 in all STUs.
Here the number of drives should be reduced in STU properties so that the total in all STUs will be 7.

Configure all 8 drives on all media servers, but limit max drives in STU properties.

H_Sharma
Level 6

So if i make maximum concurrent write drives to 7 instead of 8 on all my 3 storae unit. Thats the solution. Pls let me know if i am correct.

But again how would netbackup identify that this particular drive needs to be free? I believe if it was one storage unit it would be easier for netbackup to make one drive free.

In case of 3 storage units how would it make one drive free. Not sure.

Marianne
Level 6
If you make max drives in all media servers 7, it means that each media server can use 7 drives simultaneously. So you can see that all 8 drives will eventually be used when enough backup jobs are active. Storage Units cannot select any specific drive. It is allowed to use any of the drives in the robot with same density. So, if you read through my previous posts again, you will see that you need to change the total number of drives across all media servers so that the total number add up to 7. E.g. master - 2 media1 - 2 media2 - 3 ----------------- TOTAL - 7 But only you can decide on these values. Total number of 7 drives across all media servers as per above example will guarantee 1 drive always available for restores. Not a specific drive.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Opps, good point Marianne ...  Yep, of course, multiple STU wlll still use all drive as you suggest.

Only way that might work is to leave one drive dowm, then after you start a restore, up the drive and hope the restore picks it up, and not any running backup job.

Other option, is to zone only one drive to the master, and remove that drive from all other media servers, and run all backup jobs on the media servers, and restore jobs on the master.

H_Sharma
Level 6

Thanks Marianne,

Now the question is how to change it where is the option to change these settings.

Marianne
Level 6

Admin Console -> Storage -> Storage Unit

Change Maximum concurrent write drives for each Storage Unit.

H_Sharma
Level 6

Ok got it i thought it was some other option. Thanks Marianne for your support.

And Drive Down Option is also worth considering :)