Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore a file from a server to a local machine

Nishath
Level 3
Certified

Hello All,

I am required to restore a file from a server on to the C$ of a user's local machine(The PC name is given which Netbackup doesn't identify). The file resides on Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\HomeDir01 of a user.

Can you give me an insight on this and help me proceed with the same ?

Thank you.

Regards,
Nishath Sultana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It is not actually NetBackup that needs to 'identify' the PC name - it is the user you are logged on as and TCP/IP.
Can you ping PC name from the master server?

When logged onto the NBU master from where restore is done, can you go 'Start', then type \\PC143256\C$\folder ? Without having to type in a user name and password?
Another way is to type the IP address.

If not, you will have to logon as a user with sufficient rights or else ask the user to create a share that gives your user name write access.

The source machine for restore will be the fileserver, destination will be the master.
You will then type restore path in the final screen as 
\\PC143256\sharename.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

pri3006
Level 4
Certified

Nishath,

Take a look at this technote, under the section 'Restore DFSR data'

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO65638

Nishath
Level 3
Certified

Thank you for that note. It was informational and soemthign that I wasn't aware of. I now know what DFSR is.

However, something I need to understand is different.

With the restore process given in the note, I was able to track the files that I am required to restore under DFSR replicated folders and have also restored the files on to a different location on the server which appears as shown in the technote. However, the user does not have access to this server where I am  trying to restore the files on a different location say D: drive of the server. Hence, the user wants me to restore the folder on to her local machine(eg: PC143256).  I understand Netbackup supports restore to alternate paths on the same server or restores to a different server which is recognized by Netbackup as an agent is installed on these servers. I would want to understand is it possible to restore the data from a Netbackup client on to a local machine name(PC143256 / IP Address) which is not identified by Netbackup. If yes, how would we do that ?

Thank you

Regards,
Nishath Sultana

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You will a Netbackup client on in order to PC143256 restore files and folders. 

PC143256 will need to be on Symantec Netbackup compatibility list and known in DNS as well.

I recommend you re-directed restore the e.g D drive on DFSR server and do a normal windows copy to the PC via a windows share.  Getting the Netbackup client to work on PC143256 may take a long time because the prerequisite are not in place.

Marianne
Level 6

It is not actually NetBackup that needs to 'identify' the PC name - it is the user you are logged on as and TCP/IP.
Can you ping PC name from the master server?

When logged onto the NBU master from where restore is done, can you go 'Start', then type \\PC143256\C$\folder ? Without having to type in a user name and password?
Another way is to type the IP address.

If not, you will have to logon as a user with sufficient rights or else ask the user to create a share that gives your user name write access.

The source machine for restore will be the fileserver, destination will be the master.
You will then type restore path in the final screen as 
\\PC143256\sharename.

Nishath
Level 3
Certified

The IP address of the PC name PC143256 is not reachable from the master server. NBU master server has Linux 2.6.16 operating system installed. SO in either ways I am not able to access the local machine from the NBU master server.

Marianne
Level 6

The IP address of the PC name PC143256 is not reachable from the master server.

Can the IP address or machine name be reached from the Fileserver?

If so, use the Fileserver name as Source and Destination hostname.

The restore path in the final screen will be as previous example:  \\PC143256\sharename or  \\PC143256\C$\folder.

In this case, the Client Service logon account on the Fileserver must have permission to write to the UNC path without the need for user name and password (should be domain admin account).

Nishath
Level 3
Certified

The PC name IP address is not reachable from the file server also. Considering all of these does it mean that a restore from NBU master sever or file server to the local machine isn't possible ?

Marianne
Level 6

So, how is PC user accessing and storing files on the Fileserver in the first place?

If PC is not accessible across the network to anything in your environment, there is honestly no point in this discussion.

Restore files to alternate folder on the fileserver and then copy them onto a flash drive for the user.

Nishath
Level 3
Certified

Yes Marianne. That's exactly what I have been trying to explain to the user. Although I had restored the file for the user in an alternate location on the fileserver from where they could have fetched it, they still wanted me to do it on their local machine. I needed to confirm if there could have been a way to restore the file from a filserver on to a local machine upon user request. With all the possiblities not working out, I communicated this to the user and he was then ok to fetch the files from the file server.

Your inputs have apprised me of the pre-requisites for a restore to a local machine from a file server and future would be helpful to follow.

Thank you folks for all your inputs and suggestions. It was of good help.

Regards,
Nishath Sultana

Marianne
Level 6

I am still battling to understand how  PC name IP address is not reachable from the file server.

If PC can access files on the server across the network, then surely the server should also be able to see the PC on the network?

Well, in any case glad the user has her files back.