cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore attempt "Tar exiting with Status =174" media open error?

Michael_Kaish1
Level 4
I have recovered my netbackup server onto a test server with a complete installation of a tape library and drives. I used the vaulted catalog tape to recover everything. I went ahead and tried to do a restore for a specific file and the error I got was

Tar exiting with status = 174
media open error

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
This may be helpful -

In-depth Troubleshooting Guide for Exit Status Code <174> in NetBackup Server (tm) / NetBackup Enterprise Server (tm) 6.0

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278556

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Was backup performed through a media server, which does not exist in DR environment?

Run bpimagelist -backupid and check which media server your image is pointing to.Message was edited by:
RK

Michael_Kaish1
Level 4
No the backup was done by the master server which is also a media server. Would it matter if I don't specify in the DR environment the master and media server which are the same?

I though by setting up our master server it would automatically be a media server.

Thanks for any help.

Ankur_Kumar_3
Level 3
Rakesh could you please share about the 174 error for restore and the media server exsistence, well i suppose if its a differrent media server then restore would have resulted in status code 5.

looks like an issue with the fragment size on the STU, could you please pass us the BPTM log extract.
please do refer the following technote

http://support.veritas.com/docs/277523

ciao
Ankur Kumar

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Classic scenario,

ISSUE:getting 174 when trying to restore
SOLUTION:- changed the volume pool to ANYHOST and the jobs started without issue.
TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS: the customer was having an issue with mount on the media server used for the restore
- looking at the job details this indicates that the media server was not allowed to access the pool which the media resided.

Message was edited by:
RK

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Check your bptm and bpbrm logs for details on error.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
> No the backup was done by the master server which is
> also a media server. Would it matter if I don't
> specify in the DR environment the master and media
> server which are the same?

Yes, a media that was assigned to a media server A cannot be used by media server B for backup. (E.g. Sever A could be your master/media server and server B your media server).
To restore backup that was done by media server B using master/media server A, add the following in bp.conf:
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER =

and execute /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bprdreq -rereadconfig to tell NB to re-read bp.conf.

> I though by setting up our master server it would
> automatically be a media server.
>
Yes. Setting up/installing master server automatically install the media server components.

Hope the above helps.