cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore files from a client that no longer exists

chad_hartman_2
Level 4
NBU6.0 MP4

I cataloged tapes from a BE server at a site that no longer exists. The client no longer exists and was never a client of this netbackup server. When I attempt to do the restore, I get the message no images are available yet the catalog was successful and I can see a lot of files in the logs. I think I have a problem with the fact the client is not a client of the current NBU server........
5 REPLIES 5

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Did you do Phase 1 and Phase 2 of imports?

Look into Admin guide page number 266 and onwards for process on how to import Backup Exec tapes.

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/279263.pdf

Stumpr2
Level 6
Chad,
If the client doesn't exist then it must first be created. You cannot restore to a client that doesn't exist in Netbackup. NetBackup will not know what platform/OS the client is and most importantly, the bpcd service/daemon will not exist.

First, install Netbackup on the client and configure it for the proper master server along with any firewall ports, etc.
Second, place the client into a policy so that the mster server will know the platform/OS of the client.
Third, run both phases of bpimport.

that should do it :)

chad_hartman_2
Level 4
I am trying to restore the data to a different server b/c the old server was retired in June. I did phase1 and phase2 and the were successful. Are you saying I should build a new server and name it the same as the retired client? My end goal is to get a few files from a backup done last year restored to any location. I can even see the files in the catalog. Unfortunatally, when I try to restore, it shows now images available for this server.

I have done this several times before after converting from BE to NBU but this is the first time I have taken tapes from a site that was closed and I am trying to restore the data without existance of any of the original servers

chad_hartman_2
Level 4
I guess I should also specify the client I am trying to restore to is a current NBU client.

Stumpr2
Level 6
It sounds like you want to do an alternate client restore. That is easy to do and is documented in the sysadmin guide.

First you must determine the correct client name for the original client that is in the catalog
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/

All backup information will be under that client nameMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump