cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore not informing user that tape is not available.

nmw
Level 3
I have NetBackup Enterprise version 6.0 MP4 installed here on a Linux (RedHat AS4) server attached to a Sun L25 tape library. When I run a restore [as a user] which requires a tape which isn't in the library the restore hangs at the point where it shows "TAR STARTED". There is no indication in this GUI that manual intervention is required to load the tape.  The log file on disk contains the same information. This appears to be the same issue as http://support.veritas.com/docs/283385, which was supposed to be resolved in MP3. I don't know if there is something else wrong here, or if  the issue has been re-instated in MP4. On the administrative console, in Activity Monitor/Detailed Status I see the following: 05/23/2007 14:04:48 - requesting resource A903L2 05/23/2007 14:04:48 - awaiting resource A903L2.          A pending request has been generated for this resource request.          Operator action may be required. Pending Action: No action,          Media ID: A903L2, Barcode: HXA903L2, Density: hcart3, Access Mode: Read,          Action Drive Name: N/A, Action Media Server: N/A, Robot Type(Number): 0(N/A),          Volume Group: ---, Action Acs: N/A, Action Lsm: N/A P.S. is there any way, when a tape is required, to notify an administrator perhaps by email?
2 REPLIES 2

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Hi nmw,

You could script up a loop around all media servers running:

vmoprcmd -h MEDIA-SERVER -d pr

...where:

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
...grrr...

where:
  -h                            specifies next filed as a host name
  MEDIA-SERVER    is the media server name
  -d                            means display
  pr                            means pending requests

...and if you have any, then your script could pick out the media id and also email your Ops/Admins.

..or..  I sometimes use the Windows Remote Admin Console GUI, using the "Device Monitor" and drag up the bottom section of the display to see pending mount requests.

Regards,
Dave.