cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore of files to foreign Master Server

kallewirsch
Level 3

Dear All,

We are looking to recover files to be backed up from MasterServer_1. These files needs to be restored on MasterServer_2. From a number of conversations I had with my colleguages, this is not possible, because both server names must be the same. Can you please confirm this? If this is not the case, can you please outline to process of getting the files back on MasterServer_2

Many thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

As these are persumably from unconnected/different environments, as a first step I would look at Phase 1 & Phase 2 imports in the Admin Guides.

Essentially this will allow you to restore images off the tape(s) in question produced by backups from MasterServer_1 to MasterServer_2.

Excerpt from the Admin Guide:

"...

Importing NetBackup or Backup Exec images
NetBackup can import backups that have expired, backups from another NetBackup server, or backups written by Backup Exec for Windows. (Supports Backup Exec versions 7.0 through 9.1.)
During an import operation, NetBackup recreates NetBackup catalog entries for the backups on the imported volume. The import capability is useful for moving volumes from one site to another and for recreating NetBackup catalog entries.

..."

The above is presuming it is just 'normal' client backups you wish to restore & not catalog backup. 

Message Edited by Andy Welburn on 08-27-2008 02:21 PM

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

@kallewirsch wrote:

From a number of conversations I had with my colleguages, this is not possible, because both server names must be the same. Can you please confirm this?

Further to my earlier post:

DOCUMENTATION: Recovering a Master Server at a disaster recovery site from a catalog backup requires...