Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore question - Updated post/question

JHeaton
Level 6

NBU - 7.0 Capacity based

OS - Server 2k8 R2

So, I'm trying to test my implementation/configuration.  I think I've got the backup side working, for this one test client, and now I need to test restores.  My question:

Once the backup on disk expires, does NBU automatically switch to the tape for that date?

For example:

1)  I do a full backup on 1/1/2011.  This backup is to disk, with a 2 week retention.

2)  I run a Vault job, copying the above backup to tape, with a 6 week retention, in an offsite location.

When I get to week 3, and need to access data that was backed up on 1/1/2011, does Symantec know that that data is still available on tape at the offsite?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marcio_Almeida
Level 4
Certified

The Netbackup find the primary image.

When the image of disk expire, the imagem of tape assumes.

I do Staging instead the Vault, but the both work perfectly.

Rgrds,

Márcio Almeida

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marcio_Almeida
Level 4
Certified

The Netbackup find the primary image.

When the image of disk expire, the imagem of tape assumes.

I do Staging instead the Vault, but the both work perfectly.

Rgrds,

Márcio Almeida

Stumpr2
Level 6

Marcio is correct. When the primary copy for restores expires then the next lowest number copy becomes the new primary copy for restores.

How the expiration of images affects VERITAS NetBackup (tm): the Primary Copy and other Multiple Copies.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH31431&key=15141&actp=LIST

Problem

How the expiration of images affects VERITAS NetBackup (tm): the Primary Copy and other Multiple Copies.

Solution

Question: If copy 1 expires, does NetBackup shift copy numbers around?  In other words, does NetBackup make  copy 2 into copy 1, copy 3 into copy 2 (and so on)?

Answer: Copy numbers do not change. Copy 1 will always be copy 1, copy 2 will always be copy 2, copy N will always be copy N (and so on).

Question: If the primary expires, what becomes the next primary?

Answer: The lowest number copy becomes the primary. The next copy with the lowest copy N value will be the primary.

Example:

If you have four copies, with copy 1 being the primary, and copy 1 expires; then copy 2 will become primary, as 2 < 3 and 4.  

If you have four copies, with copy 4 being the primary, and copy 4 expires; then copy 1 will become primary, as 1 < 2 and 3

JHeaton
Level 6

Perfect!  thanks guys