Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring BMR

SoorajNair
Level 3

Hi,

I am Sooraj, i am new in BMR.

I am trying to restore one Solaris client using BMR boot media. But i am getting the below error message,

Failed command: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bprestore  -L /tmp/fifo.354 -w -H -K -W -O -T -C airtest -S sa-vrts01 -R /tmp/rename  -f /tmp/listfile.fs. rc=131

Bare Metal Restore has failed.
Now, you will be dropped to a shell prompt.
You may reboot the system when you have completed diagnosis.

please help me to solve this.

Thanks,

Sooraj

6 REPLIES 6

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

First confirm that you have created proper media. See the chapter # 8 Managing Boot Media from the below Veritas Netbackup Bare Metal Restore Admin Guide

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH83540

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Status 131:

client is not validated to use the server
The client name, as determined from the connection to the server, did not match any client name in the NetBackup configuration. No altnames configuration for this client exists on the master server. A client and server with multiple network connections can encounter this problem in the following situation: the name by
which the client is configured is not the one by which its routing tables direct connections to the server.

Are you trying to restore to a different machine (different MAC address as original)?

What steps did you take before doing 'boot cdrom'?

Please share NBU version and client OS version.

Have a look at this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49877

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

As Marianne has mentioned above this problem generally happens when NB master fails to resolve client name within bprestore request to client name in backup policy.

Generally this problem occurs because of partial (w/o FQDN) client name in the backup policy.

Make sure if this the scenario happening in your case.

Do cat /etc/hosts on your client system in restore environment and confirm the same with cat /etc/hosts and nslookup on master.

A workaround:

If this is the case where NB_CL ip<->cl_name is getting resolved without FQDN on client machine in restore env. And on master it is getting resolved with FQDN then you can temporarily edit /etc/hosts on your master adding ip<->client w/o FQDN entry first. Try bmr restore again.

Thanks.

-Mandar

SoorajNair
Level 3

Hi Marriane,

Thank you for yor help.

1. I am trying to restore the same machine but in diffrent hard disk (Dissimilar disk)

2. I created one editable configration in NBU Server and initialized the and mapped the interface.

3. The sever version is 6.5.6 an the client OS version is Sun OS 5.10 Generic_141444-09

SoorajNair
Level 3

Hi Marriane,

I editted /etc/hosts file niw i am getting the below error.

Restore failed
Failed command: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bprestore  -L /tmp/fifo.354 -w -H -K -W                        

-O -T -C airtest -S sa-vrts01 -R /tmp/rename  -f /tmp/listfile.fs. rc=24

Bare Metal Restore has failed.
Now, you will be dropped to a shell prompt.
You may reboot the system when you have completed diagnosis.

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Can you check if you can connect to your client in bmr restore environment from NBU master GUI (Using Hosts menu)?

-Mandar