cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring using a different media server

mbreit1910
Level 3

We are migrating (via back up/ restore) large amounts of data (5TB) from "old fileserver/mediaserver" to "new filesever/media server.".  The "old" media server is always selected to run the restore, causing the data to travel across the network.  I set the Restore Failover on the master and change the media owner to the "new" media server yet the restore always runs on the "old" media server.  The only way I can get it to work is the drop services on the "old" media server, but this is not always possible and pretty sure this isn't "working as designed!"  Am I missing something obvious here?  FYI... running NB 7.1.0.4. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Don't use 'failover' setting. Use Media Host Override. Host Properties -> Master -> General Server -> Media Host Override.

Alternatively, change all image/media ownership from 'oldserver' to 'newserver':

bpimage -newserver <new-server> -oldserver <old-server>

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ashish_patil01
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Please follow the steps mentioned in the below article and this should resolve your issue.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH68059

Thanks

Ashish

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

did you try 

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = fromhost tohost

in master bp.conf file

after adding this entry do bprdreq -rereadconfig  and start restore, it should pick up the new media server.

check the T/N

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH7582

hope this helps..

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Don't use 'failover' setting. Use Media Host Override. Host Properties -> Master -> General Server -> Media Host Override.

Alternatively, change all image/media ownership from 'oldserver' to 'newserver':

bpimage -newserver <new-server> -oldserver <old-server>

mbreit1910
Level 3

Just changing the Media Host Override is all that was needed.  I will change all media ownership once the old file server is retired.  While I'm sure all responses are valid resolutions to my question, this was the simplest to implement.  Thanks all for the prompt responses.