cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention level on Disk Staging?

Reginald_Cartuy
Level 2
Hi guys,

I need some help for Veritas NetBackup 5.1MP5.

I have normal policies configured, for backup on disk with a retention level 2.
Every week I am doing a disk staging, everything from disk is copied to tape.

By default the copies on tape keep the same rentention level than the original backups on disk. But I want to keep the copies on tape for a longer time.

Is it possible to put a different rentention level for the disk staging?

Thanks for your help!
Reg
4 REPLIES 4

Stumpr2
Level 6
Disk staging of images is only temporary. Once an image has migrated to tape, the images are allowed to be removed from the disk staging area regardless of retention. Set up the retention in the backup policy that you want for the data being backed up to the disk staging area. The migrate image will retain that retention. You can use any of the retentions defined in your environment.

If you are trying to do an after-the-fact change of retention then use the bpexpdate -recalculate command.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Reginald_Cartuy
Level 2
Hi Bob,

Do you mean that the images are automatically deleted from disk when a disk staging to tape is done?

In my situation this is not done, but if possible, I would configure it that way.

Thanks for your help,
Reginald

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Hi Reginald,

Do you have Vault option. It yes, there's an option to specify expire original disk backup image after x hours in the Duplication tab of the Vault profile.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Bob means that images on disk which are already deplicated, are deleted automatically when NetBackup needs space. When the disk is full, NetBackup deletes images.