cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robot Inventory

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hello Experts,

Need to know what happens when we insert a new tape in the robotic library with bar code printed on Media.

Suppose we dont have bar code rules and Media id rules. Do we need to configure anything?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

it will move to Netbackup volume pool when you run the Inventory on that robot.

barcode rules are required when you wnat to move the tapes to the other volumes pools like Scratch or any other customised pools.

if there is no barcode rule , they will move the default volume pool i.e Netbakup at the time of inventory.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla

it will move to Netbackup volume pool when you run the Inventory on that robot.

barcode rules are required when you wnat to move the tapes to the other volumes pools like Scratch or any other customised pools.

if there is no barcode rule , they will move the default volume pool i.e Netbakup at the time of inventory.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Why would you not have barcode and media rules ?

I would suggest that it is good practive to ensure the enviroment is correctly configured before using it.

H_Sharma
Level 6

Thats fine it will move to netbackup pool.

Is there any configuration that needs to be done before sending it to other pool ? Do we need to set any configuration like hcart, Robot Type?

RamNagalla

media type(density) like hcart you can only set it though  barcode rules.. if no barcode rules, i will take the default one i guess...not remembered..

robot type not required because you do inventory for specific robot..

as Martin said...it good practice should be there to avoide future issue... and setting the barcode rules is one of those..

Santhosh_M
Level 3

Sharma,

Yes, it is better to configure barcode rules. You can configure it from advanced robot inventory options.

It will be useful when you have multiple volume pools and different types of media on same library.

FYI...

Please go through below documents

NetBackup Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume I (Page 441)

NetBackup Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume II   (Page 134)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

PLEASE read up in NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I  about Barcode Rules, Media Id Generation Rules, Volume Pools, etc. 
The manuals are written in plain, easy to understand English. 

If you only have one type of tape drives and media, then Inventory will config new media as same density/type as the tape drives.

If you have more than one drive type in the robot (e.g. LTO4 and LTO5) it is important that you config barcode rules to specify density.