cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SCRIPT] how do I know when my backup is done via the network or SAN?

papires
Level 2

I need to monitor the performance of servers media server, but need to know especially if the backup is done via an IP network or SAN. Need to develop a script. Already drafted a script that notifies you when the server is backing up or not. Now, I need to describe if the backup is done via SAN or IP.
Does anyone have any idea how to do?

10 REPLIES 10

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

I'm not really understanding what you want to achieve here. Please highlight which component you want to monitor from the ones below.

If server is installed as a NetBackup Client it can only backup via the LAN, unless its configured as a SAN Client. Even with the SAN client configured the backups will try to use the SAN but if for some reason it can't it will change to LAN (unless explicity forced to only use FT)

If a server is installed as a Enterprise Client it can back it self up to the SAN connected devices (disk/tape). Depending on your configuration a server such as this could also send its data over the LAN to a Media Server, which really defeats the purpose if you've installed it as an Enterprise Client.

Finally, a Media Server is the destination for Netbackup clients to send there data over the LAN (or SAN in SAN Client configurations). Typically a Media Server doesn't really have anything to backup, but would be doing its own backups (same an Enterprise Client) directly to SAN.

The potential for data travelling across the wrong medium becomes more prevalent as your NetBackup Domain grows. The use of "any available" as a storage unit selection also increases the risk of this. If you've setup all your policies to point to a specifc storage unit then you know the backups are going where they should. In a Enterprise Client/Media Server instance this would mean that you specify the local storage unit for that server as its destination for the backup so there is no way it can go over the lan.

So the only other thing you really have to monitor is if you've configured SAN clients.

khanhb
Level 4

Hi Riaan,

I install enterprise client in oracle solaris (master/media server in window 2008). I want config backup data from enterprise client send via SAN and then duplicate to tape. Can you show me some step to config (as present LUN from SAN to both enterprise client and Master/media server)??

Thanks,

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Hi,

Sure no problem, please just clarify what you mean by this

"as present LUN from SAN to both enterprise client and Master/media server"

khanhb
Level 4

Hi Riaan,

I want backup data from enterprise client sent direct to LUN from SAN and then duplicate to tape. I will config Storage Lifecycle policy. Are both client and master/media server presented LUN from SAN??

Thanks,

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Hi,

OK got it.

• You need to assign a LUN to enterprise client (solaris server), create a FS, and mount it (put in vfstab too)
  • Create a Storage Server on the Enterprise Client
  • Create an Advanced Disk pool on the Entperprise client
  • Create a storage unit for the enterprise client
  • You also need to assign (zone) the tape drives to the Enterprise Client
  • Run the device configuration in NetBackup to configure the tape drives on the Enterprise Client
  • Then setup up your SLP to use the Disk Storage Unit as destination 1, and the Tape Storage Unit as destination 2.

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Did you hijack this post? Or are you working with the user who started this thread?

khanhb
Level 4

Hi Riaan,

You mean that I don't need present LUN from SAN to Master/Media server???

Thanks

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Hi,

Before we go any further. Did you hijack this post? Are you working with the person who created the questions/post (see the username right at the top)? If not, please create your own post.

papires
Level 2

Ok .. Let me explain my environment.
I have a server that is MEDIA SERVER. He backs himself and also clients via SAN. One of the problems I had recently was that the server was doing network backup! I do not know how!

1. How do I configure the media server and/or clients to backup only via SAN?

2. For me to monitor the server, I made a script that notifies you when the server is backup. I have to implement this script to know when a backup is being done by the SAN or IP.

Annex follows my basic script to be implemented(Verificarbkp.sh).

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Hi,

So you've configured your clients as SAN clients and your media as an FT media server?

Can you post the output of this command please

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbhba -l