cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SERVER entries limitiation?

keelin_hart
Level 4
Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of SERVER entries that can be specified (or rather are read) in a unix client's bp.conf or Windows registry?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
Keelin,
I don't recall seeing info about a specific limitation on the number of server entries you can specify on a windows client or a unix bp.conf file. If you don't find this information in one of the admin guides then you may have to dig deeper or maybe even place a call with Symantec.Message was edited by:
Alex Vasquez

Stumpr2
Level 6
I'm not sure why you want any more than the number of servers that have a full media server license since a SAN media server cannot do restores on another client.

keelin_hart
Level 4
This is nothing to do with SAN media servers. Our company standard is to have an entry for every media server in the NBU domain on each client. I am currently collapsing one backup domain into another, and am therefore giving the clients visibility of both domains until the migrations are complete. So there are a fairly large number of server entries...

Stumpr2
Level 6
The planning and performance guide shows that a master server should not have in excess of 70 media servers. So I would suggest with 2 domains to use no more than 140 server entries. But you could probably go higher than that. Is 140 a large number of media servers? some sites yes and some sites no. I have about 98 media servers but the majority are SAN media servers since the licensing is much cheaper.