cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP to backup and duplicate VMs backups with several appliances

fari_fr
Level 2

Hello,

I would like to share a concern I have to set up efficient VMs backups, someone else has already faced maybe.

I have 3 appliances 5230 with visibility on all the ESX LUNs, and with 5 LTO5 drives shared between them.

I want to mutualize the ressources and balance the workload between appliances, my purpose is to have an SLP to first backup the VMs (around 3000) on the thress MSDP pools then duplicate the backup on tape (DR copy with smaller retention)

- I faced some limitation in the storage unit group creation, so I removed accelerator to be able to use media load balancing

- In my policies, I use as backup host 'backup media server' to dispatch the son jobs on all the appliances

- but during second step of the SLP (duplication) for some images, the backup made by appliance A is copied on tape by appliance B or C which is not good (as far as I understand A rebuilds the image and send it to B or C over the lan)

Is there any way with MSDP storage unit groups to force the backup host used for snapshot and backup jobs to also manage the duplication?

thank you for your help

Regards

3 REPLIES 3

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If I understood correctly you question, the backup are made on 3 appliances ( first copy), then you duplicate these backups to DR site using AIR right?

"Auto Image Replication does not support replicating from a storage unit group.That is, the source copy cannot be in a storage unit group."

So,I dont think so, because you are using the option 'Media Server Load Balancing', with it, the backups are hand out between the appliances, acoording with this according to these criteria..

However, I couldnt check Backup operations from SLP, on the Netbackup Admin Guide.Have you already check?

VMbackupHost2.PNG

About use vmware backup host as "backup media server" option.

VMbackupHost.PNG

Regards,

Thiago Ribeiro

Hi

Thank you for your reply

It is not about an AIR replication, the three appliances are attached to one master and I configured shared tape drives on them. the appliances are on the main sites and the tape drives are in a remote site reached through an ISL, there are 10 kilometers between the physical library and the appliances

Regards

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Its not so far, sorry I was understood that you was using AIR.