SQL Agent

NDHLP
Level 2

Information:

Windows 2K3 Standard Edition SP2

Netbackup 6.0 MP5

SQL Server 2K Enterprise Edition

Problem:

I am working on an old Compaq Proliant DL360 Server running Windows 2K3 Standard Edition SP2. I am trying to do a SQL 2K Enterprise Edition backup using the Netbackup SQL Agent. I created a user in SQL that has access to all SQL Databases. I went into the NB SQL Agent GUI and added the user I created in SQL to the Login Screen/SQL Properties. Click Apply and everything is a GO. I go into Backup Properties and I can see all the databases. I select 2 small databases to backup (pub and Northwind). I do a Launch Immediately and everything is successful, but I never see the job on the Master Server in the Activity Monitor. I look at View Status and it says that it is in Progress, but there is no job in the Activity Monitor. Then it gives me an error (12) in the Activity Monitor. I checked the logs and it states ERR - Server exited with status 240: no schedules of the correct type exist in this policy. INF - EXIT STATUS 6: the backup failed to backup the requested files. ERR - Could not create new image with file. I also get another error file open failed (12) 

So I created a batch file with the 2 databases (pub and Northwind). I created a policy with the batch file I just created. It runs and says that it is connected, but it times out and the Error code and message are (2) none of the requested files were backed up. 

When I try to do a backup from the Backup, Archive and Restore, I am unsuccessful, but if I create a policy with the 2 databases above, I can backed them up. I just can't back them up through the NB SQL Agent.

Oh yea, the NB Client Service that runs in Windows Logs On As the new user and this user is apart of the Local Administrators/Domain Users/Domain Admins/Enterprise Admins Group.

I have checked everything as far as permissions and the user has all the rights to the SQL Databases. I have even used the Local Administrator and I get the same messages. I created a User DSN in the ODBC Client and still unsuccessful.

Does any one have any ideas of what the problem could be or any suggestions on resolving this issue or if I am doing something wrong? Oh and our Tech Support Maintenance is in limbo.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

That status 240 makes me wonder if there isn't a problem within the policy - specifically, the scheduling.  Check out this TechNote which describes it better than I can:

STATUS CODE 240: NetBackup for Microsoft SQL Server database agent backups fail with status 240 (no schedules of the correct type exist in this policy) reported.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/296158

Make sure the correct schedule type has been created and we recommend you just leave that sucker window open 24x7.  Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

That status 240 makes me wonder if there isn't a problem within the policy - specifically, the scheduling.  Check out this TechNote which describes it better than I can:

STATUS CODE 240: NetBackup for Microsoft SQL Server database agent backups fail with status 240 (no schedules of the correct type exist in this policy) reported.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/296158

Make sure the correct schedule type has been created and we recommend you just leave that sucker window open 24x7.  Smiley Very Happy

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
On your SQL server, go to Program Files -> Veritas -> NetBackup -> Logs -> mssql_backup_failures and review the log entries.

NDHLP
Level 2

Thanks CRZ (Chris Zimmerman)

This resolved one of the problems I had. I needed to put my Fully Qualified Domain Name in the Netbackup Client list along with adding the IP Address and FQDN in the host file for the Client and Master Server.