cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server Backups

THG
Level 3
I am brand new with this so bear with me, we are using NetBackup 6.5 using the MS-SQL-Server policy to backup up 2 SQL 2000 Servers - all databases.

I want to backup the FULL databases, the script I am using:

OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE $ALL
SQLHOST "SQLSERVER"
NBSERVER "TAPESERVER"
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 0
BLOCKSIZE 7
POLICY SQLSVR-MSSQL
ENDOPER TRUE

I've also run this script -- same result

OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE $ALL
SQLHOST "SQLSERVER"
NBSERVER "TAPESERVER"
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6
BLOCKSIZE 7
POLICY SQLSVR-MSSQL
NUMBUFS 2
ENDOPER TRUE

These databases aren't huge - maybe 50GB --- when I view the progress in Activity Monitor a child job is spawned backs up 2MB and closes to spawn another child job. Obviously I get 1000s of child jobs to back up each database server and this slows the job down considerably.

Is this normal operation? How can I get one child process to back up a 10GB slice or so? Outside of the clutter this just seems really slow.

What am I doing wrong? Please help!
4 REPLIES 4

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
Chris,

Each database will spawn it's own job - 1 after another.  So, if your SQL Server have 10 database, then 10 jobs will kick off serially.

THG
Level 3
I have maybe 10-15 databases on the SQL server each one ranging from a few hundred MB to about 25GB.......it is spawning thousands of child jobs, each one 2MB in size.

I'd be happy if I had 1 job per database and the 1 job backed up the entire database, or at least a chunk far larger than 2MB.

Any ideas? I really appreciate any and all help

Amit_Karia
Level 6
Hi Chris

How many stripes did u keep while creating sql script
more number of stripes will result in more number of
child spawning

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
Chris,

In our situation, we backup our SQL databases using *.bch files.  The SQL policy points to a specific *.bch file.  Below is one of our examples:

# **********************************************************************
# * Initiate full backups for all databases
# **********************************************************************
OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE $ALL
SQLHOST "SCFBI0P0MIPSQL1"
NBSERVER "SCFBI0P0NBU1"
STRIPES 1
BUFFERS 3
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 0
BLOCKSIZE 7
VERIFYOPTION STOPONERROR
ENDOPER TRUE

I see in your case you use the "policy" statement.  How are you initiating your SQL backups?