cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL/SharePoint Agent Use

r_b
Level 4
Partner

I’ve been busy setting up my SQL NBU agent backups when a colleague took the wind out of my sails.  He gave me heaps of compelling reasons why I shouldn’t waste my time or risk my company’s data on any 3rd party agent.  A scan of various posts will confirm this sentiment.  When you use the same logic behind the DBA recommendations, it’s not hard to see that the recommendation to not use 3rd party agents would extend to SharePoint agents as well.

There’s no point in convincing a DBA otherwise when it comes to this sort of thing, and I’m not up for a debate on why one method is better than the other.  However, I do want to take advantage of the technology available (and the money we paid for it) to use the NBU SQL and SharePoint agents. I thought the best compromise would be to use the maintenance plan to make the database dumps to disk, followed by a full NBU agent backup of SQL/SharePoint (this also to disk as I’m told direct backups to tape is not recommended).  Once both are done I can put the copies to tape. There was a concern raised though about interaction between the two backup methods and the transaction logs. 

Is there a method to deploy both solutions such that they both will work without any adverse interaction to the transaction logs or each other?  

Any feedback greatly appreciated!  

r_b

0 REPLIES 0