cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL restores - still single threaded?

Genericus
   VIP   

I have had issues in the past with SQL database restores, I run my backups with multiple child jobs, but I have found when I restore that I have to run as a single thread. This means that a backup of 4 child jobs, each taking an hour, backs up in one hour, but restores in four.

To allow for faster restores, we have set up SQL backup directly to disk,and restore from there. We make backups of these flat files for DR purposes.

I am currently on 7.6.0.4 - does anyone know if this issue remains in the newer versions of NetBackup? 7.6.1 or 7.7?

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS
4 REPLIES 4

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Interesting, curious if the threads/child jobs mentioned relates to stripes or databases in the SQL instance.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Genericus
   VIP   

I believe this is stripes. There are multiple databases being backed up, usually only one being restored.

Have you been able to restore using multiple stripes?

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Use script to perform the restore and add STRIPES 4 to it and try.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Have not tried restoring with stripes, as the infrastructure already gave around us around 70 MB/sec at restore which was fast enough for us. We found that the limit in our system most often was the disk we was writing to.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue