cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STK serial numbers

Will_Restore
Level 6
Apologies if this is out of scope; I figure others must be in the same boat, trying to get service on StorageTek libraries.

Seems they now require the drive serial number, instead of the library base like they used to, but we're having a heck of a time correlating serial numbers in the GUI (1110...) vs our contract (0425...) vs what the tech sees (5063001...).  I think our account rep is scratching her head too.  Anyone having this problem?  How do you resolve it? 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
My guess is:
GUI (1110...)  - this is what STK calls the DMOD serial # and what NBU sees
vs our contract (0425...)  Serial # punched on the drive bay
vs what the tech sees (5063001...)  wwn?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
1) Yours are right (in the GUI) because you say so & so does NB ;)
2) Contract isn't correct as you've had tape drives replaced & are contracts ever 100% accurate? Did they audit the hardware?
3) Techie's looking at the WWN?

At the end of the day, what you're seeing must be what you work from.

Can you physically check the S/N's? With our L180 (when we had it) you could relatively easily remove the drive from the library if necessary, but not sure if the S/N was visible (even then it could be the S/N of the "box" that the drive's in!). Is there a display on the library that you could check (or is that where the techie's coming from?)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What STK lib do you have ?.

I have a STK SL8500 and we are using SL console and to retrive the drive serial numbers. Using a L Series robot you may use StorageTek Horizon Library Manager

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
My guess is:
GUI (1110...)  - this is what STK calls the DMOD serial # and what NBU sees
vs our contract (0425...)  Serial # punched on the drive bay
vs what the tech sees (5063001...)  wwn?

Will_Restore
Level 6
It's an L180 and the GUI (Netbackup and Horizon) show the drive serial number (which might have been replaced like you say).  Tech just called back and wants the tray serial number but the systems are at remote sites and we can't get that information.  Our contract line items have completely different number format (0425...) and tech has no idea what that is.  Good idea with the wwn but that's another sequence (5005...)

We used the just call with contract number and base serial number and that was it.  Now they want something we can't see remotely and they apparently don't have in their service entitlement system anyway.  :(