cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client encryption impact?

ROFPR
Level 4
For those of you encrypting on the client side, what kind of impact are you seeign? We ran some test in our lab and got minimal impact. However, when we moved to the production environment throughput degraded seriously. Our environment consists of a single master/media server running W2K3 and NB 6.5.4. All software on the client end has been brought to the latest patch. In this specific case clients are Solaris 10. In the production environment throughput went down 75% while on the test platform went down only 9%. Any ideas?
1 REPLY 1

Nathan_B
Level 4
I have not seen very much impact, but then, I don't readily check that on the clients, I just wait on the clients to complain. I've noticed that our test groups tend to report a much lower impact than what we actually see, I think this is because of several things.  Mostly, and I don't know how you tested it, the tests here tend to be done in a perfect scenario, with little to nothing going on, on the client but a backup, nothing going on on the network but the backup, nothing going on, on the master but the backup, ideal conditions. I think when you get to a real world scenario with applications sharing that same resource set that the backups use on the client it tends to take more to do the same things.  But that is just what I've seen.