Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

San Media Server

Walid_Samy
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Dear All,
Kindly provide me with the right steps to install a NetBackup San Media Server, Do i need to use a SAN Media Server Instalation CD, or the same Netbackup Enterprise server Installation CDs are used and should only choose to install a media server and add the SAN Media Server license?
Thank you
17 REPLIES 17

Stumpr2
Level 6
The only difference is the license. Installation is the same.

Walid_Samy
Level 4
Partner Accredited
So, I have one master server and one client, this client is an exchange server, i have purchased a SAN Media Server Option and i received the License key, Now i have configure the exchange server to connect to the SAN and the Tapelibrary is connected to the SAN also. I installed the Media server on this client using the SAN Media Server License. What shall i do next?
Please Help!

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
O/S version and and patch level?  NBU version and patch level?

Your question seems to be of an installation nature.  Have you downloaded and read the installation guide?  They can be found here:

Walid_Samy
Level 4
Partner Accredited
NetBackup Master Server is V6 MP4 on a Windows 2003 Enterprise SP2 and San Media Server is NetBackup V6 MP4. I just need to know if there are any steps needed more than the configuration we did.. kindly find below the steps of our configuration:-

1- Configure Master server and san media server and tape library to connect to the san switch.
2- Configure a new Storage Unit from the master server Admin console and choose the San Media server to handle its own backup.

Is there any step missing?

sdo
Looks good so far.  Have you tried a simple test backup of just one small temp folder?

You could logon to the new SAN media server, and try:
    scan -tape -changer
....to see if the NetBackup software can see the tape and robot.

If you think you have it configured, then you could try:
    tpautoconf -report_disc
....which will report discrepncies, and the report will be blank/empty if things are good (i.e. if the NetBackup device database matches the devices that can be found - then nothing will be reported - which is good).

Message Edited by sdw303 on 08-07-200711:11 AM

Walid_Samy
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I had added the SSO option to the new SAN Media Server, Is this right?

Well now the following service are always down on the SAN Media Server:-

NtBackup job manager service
NetBackup policy execution
Netbackup resource broker service

What's wrong?
Thank You

Stumpr2
Level 6
DOCUMENTATION: How to use the "nbemmcmd -addhost" command to add a media server to a VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0 environment.

sdo
All three are master services.  It's a pain that they're listed on media servers.  Ignore them, as they are not a problem.

Have you tried to run any backups yet?

Stumpr2
Level 6
Please run a test backup and let us know of any error messages. You should enable logging before you attempt the backup. Also if you are successfull with the backup then the next step is to do a test restore.

Walid_Samy
Level 4
Partner Accredited
well, I had test the backup for the new SAN Media Servers and the backup is working, but i doubt if it's working through the fiber and the SAN, How can i confirm and make sure that the backup is working now over SAN and not over LAN?

Stumpr2
Level 6
set MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVES to yes. This technote tells how to do it for the various Netbackup versions

DOCUMENTATION: Certain bp.conf entries, vm.conf entries, and touch files are now set using nbemmcmd in VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0.

Stumpr2
Level 6
To see if it is going over the fiber is simple. It has to go over to the fiber because there is no other data path to the drives. Just ensure that the media server is the SAN media server and not some other FULL media server. The MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVES will ensure it.

Walid_Samy
Level 4
Partner Accredited
What does the Must_USE_Local_Drives mean??? and why it will confirm that i'm using the fiber connection now?

sdo
What does the manual say?

Walid_Samy
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Both documentation are for Unix & Linux Environment.. I'm working on a Windows environment, i can't understand what do you mean by the "Must_Use_Local_Drives" please clarify.

"VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0 System Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume I
VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0 Media Manager System Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux
Thank You

sdo
Isn't the documentation on your CDs?

If you lost your CDs, then download documentation here:
http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/documentation.jsp?pid=15143

I found the following document quite easily...

You need the Sys Admin Guide Vol 1 (Windows), here:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/279265.htm

...take a look at page 428.

Walid_Samy
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Is configuring the Must Use local drive option must be permenant confiduration or it's just for testing?