cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule import of tapes / automatic inventory in NBU 6.5.4

M_Hood
Level 3
Hi,

I am looking for a way of automating an import of our tapes. We currently send tapes offsite, which are returned 2 weeks later and put into the Dell ML6000 by our admin staff. The number of tapes is likely to change weekly. We have 18 free media access ports on the ML6000 so it will never exceed this in one week.

We use NBU 6.5.4 on Windows Server 2003. Currently we have to remember to manually run an inventory to import these tapes. I am looking for a solution where we can schedule this to happen at say 15:00 every Monday.

Is this possible using the GUI or do I need to use NBU commands? If the latter, can someone point me in the right direction to create this script?

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
& maybe there will be other ways to achieve this, but vmupdate is available which is used to "inventory media contents of a robotic library and update the EMM database". So maybe you could use a scheduled job to run this? (**EDIT** via Windows that is!)

NAME
vmupdate - inventory media contents of a robotic library and update the EMM database

SYNOPSIS
install_path\Volmgr\bin\vmupdate -rt robot_type -rn robot_number [-rh robot_host] [-h EMM_Server | volume_database_host] [[-if inventory_filter_value] [-if inventory_filter_value] ...] [-full] [-recommend] [-interactive] [-involgrp volume_group] [-outvolgrp volume_group] [-mt media_type] [-p pool_name [-use_barcode_rules] [-use_seed] [-mp media_id_prefix] [-no_sides] [-no_format_optical] [-overwrite_labels] [-empty_map]

DESCRIPTION
Inventory the media contents of a robotic library and update the Enterprise Media Manager database. If no options are specified, the volume

Anonymous
Not applicable
Use Scheduled Tasks in Control Panel for your 15:00 every MOnday

create a inventory.cmd file to be called by the schedule:

Inside place a command line using the vmupdate syntax for each robot.

I have this setup on a Windows master server with the following to move tapes from the import magazine to the libraries slots. It was created because operations staff sometimes forgot to inventory the library when back at desk.

install_path\Veritas\Volmgr\bin\vmupdate -rt tld -rn 0 -rh fred -use_barcode_rules -empty_map

stu52
Level 5

This should do what you want as well:

Move (inject) multiple volumes into a TL8 or TLD robot:

install_path\vmchange -multi_inject -w -res -rt robot_type -verbose -rn robot_number -rh robot_control_host

This command can be put into a Windows batch file and then run as a scheduled job.  You can also script the eject of tapes as well using another variation of the same command.

I think that you still need to run the vmupdate command to update the library inventory.  The nice thing about this command is that you can use it for ejecting multiple tapes.  This makes it very handy for ejecting tapes for sending offsite as follows:

Move (eject) multiple volumes from a TL8 or TLD robot to standalone:

install_path\vmchange -multi_eject -w [-h EMM_server |volume_database_host] -res -ml media_id:media_id: ...:media_id -rt robot_type -verbose -rn robot_number -rh robot_control_host

I wrote a batch file to do the ejects based upon some other NBU commands.

David_McMullin
Level 6
I have a script that runs daily that uses these commands:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rt acs -rn 0 -use_barcode_rules -h MASTER -rh ROBOT CONTROL HOST 2>&1
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rt tld -rn 1 -use_barcode_rules -h MASTER -rh ROBOT CONTROL HOST 2>&1
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rt tld -rn 2 -use_barcode_rules -h MASTER -rh ROBOT CONTROL HOST 2>&1

You have to specify your master after the -h and the robot control host after the -rh, I use it for both ACS and TLD robots with no issues.

I also add this command for each robot:
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -pn scratch_pool -b | grep ACS | wc -l
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -pn scratch_pool -b | grep "TLD      1" | wc -l
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -pn scratch_pool -b | grep "TLD      2" | wc -l

and out put to a file which I email to my operators - so they get an alert about how many scratch tapes are in each robot...

we had a problem with our scratch pool getting reset so I also run this:
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmpool -set_scratch scratch_pool

so I guess Andy should get the win, since he suggested the vmupdate first....

Will_Restore
Level 6
We do this to inject expired media:
vmupdate  -rt TLD  -rn 0  -empty_map

(your robot type and number may be different - check in the GUI)