cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server 2008 clients fail to backup files, but give Status 0

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified

I've tried backing up several different Windows Server 2008 clients now, and even though the jobs complete with a status 0, and the backup selection is All_Local_Drives, most of the files are NOT backed up.  Browsing through the backups, the directory structure is intact, but many of the folders don't contain any files.  One new server with 12GB of data on it only backed up about 3GB to tape during the full, yet displayed no errors.

This is frightening, to say the least.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Or checked your backups of any Server 2008 machines?  Ours aren't really "in production" yet, but I have several admins chomping at the bit to put them in production now.

The one bright spot, is that it seems that most of what is missed is the OS folder, and that actual user data stored on the server is all being backed up.  I'm not comfortable putting it into production this way, obviously, but if I was going to pick files to lose, I'd much rather lose the OS folders than data...

11 REPLIES 11

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
what version are you running on the master/media/client?

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

this is defenitely a bug have you report this to symantec? try installing 6.5.2.a I know 6.5.2 haves many schedules issues and this can be your problem, but I will recommend going straigh to symantec.

regards

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified

Has anyone successfully backed up a Server 2008 client?  Or am I the only one who has even tried?

I'll re-verify the problem on 6.5.2A, but since the only thing they fixed in that was an issue affecting multiple stream incrementals, I highly doubt it will have changed.  I haven't reported it to Symantec yet, as our support goes through Sun first, and working with them on any Windows-related issue usually makes me want to cry.

The last tech I had wanted to change to the G: drive from the  command prompt, here's what he typed:

G:\ (failed)

cd G:\ (failed)

cd G: (failed)

That's the point I said "Don't work with Windows much, do you?" and told him the command he was looking for was G:

I'll update this after I re-verify on 6.5.2a and open a ticket with Sun.

Message Edited by Seth Bokelman on 07-21-2008 06:58 AM

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified
Backing up a Server 2008 client with 6.5.2A yielded only 10,000 files.  The C:\Windows\ folder only contains 33 files, according to NetBackup, and the job exited with Status 0. :(

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified
As Sun hasn't "qualified" NetBackup 6.5.2 yet, they refuse to provide any support on this issue.  I'm left to conclude that Server 2008 support is horribly broken in 6.5.2, as I've not yet heard from anyone who has actually been able to back up a server successfully...

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

what did you install on the client?

you did the win2008 client ( not the media server and not the server core right?)

the client file only seems to come in x64 and your server is 64 right?

I am preping for the 2008 but have not gotten there yet.

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified

Hmm, I didn't realize it was separate from the other Windows installer, other than the server core one, I've seen that.

I've got some test servers of both x86 and x64 flavor, I'll try the x64 download now, hopefully this is my problem.

You haven't seen an x86 version yet, other than server core, have you?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

No, I have a ticket open to verify. (but they are slow getting back to me).

I have only see

NB_6.5.2_Win2008_x64.zip   which should be the windows client.

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified

Symantec Support just told me that this is the correct version for x86, and you install it over 6.5GA.  I pointed out to them that Server 2008 is NOT explicitly listed, and it probably should be...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305655.htm

Message Edited by Seth Bokelman on 07-24-2008 01:47 PM

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified

Symantec finally issued an advisory for this issue today:

http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/308301

Looks like it won't be fixed until version 6.5.3 comes out.