cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Status = 12 (file open failed) in bpbackup logs

mtaormina
Level 3
All, we are having an issue using bpbackup in a script initiated by an external scheduler and i'm having mixed results finding answers about bpbackup errors.

Master: Win 2003, NBU 6.5.1
Media(s): Win 2003, NBU 6.5.1
Clients: Solaris 10, NBU 6.5.1

The command that the script runs is the following: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbackup -L $logFile -f $backup.list -p $policyname -s ubak -w

This kicks off anywhere from 2 to 8 clients in the policy, each having their own unique file list to backup based on the policy. The idea is that we want netbackup to wait indefinitely for a completion status to send back to our scheduler.

So anything other than a status 0 abbends our job. What's happening is that we're getting a server status = 12 message (file open failed) randomly on one or more clients, however the job still completes on the netbackup side as shown by the $logfile. When we re-run the job a second time it finishes without issues, every time.

I can't find anywhere in any log which file bpbackup is actually choking on. Sometimes the status 12 happens before any files are backed up, sometimes it's in the middle of the backup.

Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2

effiko1
Level 3

I just ran into the same problem and figured out the following.

Netbackup will try to open the logfile on each of the servers in the list. If on any client this path is broken (i.e. a directory in the path is missing) you'll get the status 12.

Solution: Either use the root file directory for the logs like D:\log.log or create a log directory on each client like D:\nbulogs

Amit_Karia
Level 6

increase  bpbkar verbosity to 5 in master/media server in case of regular(Standard/NT) backups and check the logs..you will know exactly which file is causing problems

incase of flash-backup ensure there is enough space available in client to create  a snapshot for more info you can check bpfis log files in client