cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadow copy component failed with 71 error.

pkvyas1983
Level 4

Hi All,

I our backup environment some of window servers backup failed with shadow copy component failed with 71 error code "none of file exist in the file list " & other window servers shadow copy comp. passed successfully.

Kindly some one suggest me to how to resolve this issue.

we are using netbackup 6.0 MP4, 6.0MP7, 6.5.5 backup software.

Thanks

Pradeep Vyas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bonga_Nozibele
Level 3

As Rohit has highlighted...if any of the VSS writers are in an "error" state..it is likely that you'll have problems backing up the Shadow Copy Components. To resolve this you'll have to re-register the VSS writers(on the client giving issues) and reboot the server. Once done verify(by running the "vssadmin list writers") that none of the writers are in "error" status and try running the backup again.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Which operating systems fail?

If they are Windows 2008 then it may be as a result of not being supported by your version of NetBackup

pkvyas1983
Level 4

Hi Mark,

Thanks for reply.

Its a window 2003 SP2, Other backup streams of this client passed except shedow copy component.

Selection set is ALL_LOCAL_DRIVE

In other setup one server is also master & media server & Netbackup version is 6.0 MP7.

At the time of self backup only shadow copy component backup stream failed with 71 error.

Please suggest.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you tried Google yet?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Asymantec.com+netbackup+status+71+shadow+copy+components

pkvyas1983
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Yes. I found most of article on google & tried as well but not succeded.

In Master server properties (client attribute) I also added the client & under window open file backup tab I applied the both option one by one but no result.

On this server the volume shodow copy service status is manual.(it is master & media server).

Thanks

Pradeep

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you tried to use (Windows) ntbackup to backup SCC to disk?

Are there any errors in Event Viewer?

Please create bpbkar and bpfis folders on the client. Post these logs as attachments after the next failure.

pkvyas1983
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for reply.

I will try this & let you know..

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

bpbkar32.exe -nocont Shadow Copy Components:\  1> nul 2> nul 

setup bpbkar logging on the client and run the above command. Check the bpbkar log.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Can you also check the exclude list for the client If all local drives is selected but the system state / shadow copy is excluded it will fail like this

RohitNayal
Level 5
Certified

Hi ,

Please share us the out put of the command "vssadmin list writers" also check the below Microsoft technote .

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940032/en-us

Bonga_Nozibele
Level 3

As Rohit has highlighted...if any of the VSS writers are in an "error" state..it is likely that you'll have problems backing up the Shadow Copy Components. To resolve this you'll have to re-register the VSS writers(on the client giving issues) and reboot the server. Once done verify(by running the "vssadmin list writers") that none of the writers are in "error" status and try running the backup again.