cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharepoint 2007 / GRT restores impossible when front-end server dedicated for crawling

DavidE31
Level 4

Hello,

I have a problem with GRT restore of a Sharepoint 2007 farm with NBU 7.5.0.7 on a W2008 master / media servers

I have found that problem comes from a front-end server which is dedicated for crawling, this causes Windows host file on this front end server to be modified with an entry for hostname / ip address that is not managed by my Netbackup Master server

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc261810.aspx

Here is what's happening :

- I have a policy configured as MS-Sharepoint with this backup selection :Microsoft SharePoint Resources:\Windows SharePoint Services Web Application\CCS-VAL\Content-DB 4 (FR0-CCSQLVCONTE/VM370CONT/Portal_Site_Content_03)

- this policy is configured with the index front server name, which is reachable by NBU master to a specific IP address

Backups of this policy runs OK but what I can notice is that the first backup job that calls bpresolver is related to this index front-end server name

The second job that creates the sharepoint granular snapshot to backup doesnt have the index front-end server seen in the first job but another client name which I figured out is a front-end server entry dedicated for crawling.

The third job that backs up is related to the original index front-end server 

The dedicated for crawling server has a name and ip address different from the index front-end server name and ip address and this is preventing me from restoring as when I try to restore, I get a 37 status code error "operation requested by an invalid server", which is the name of the front-end server dedicated for crawling ...

Were you ever been faced with this issue, and how did you fix it ? I think of modifying Master server / media server and client hosts files by adding the dedicated for crawling server in the same line than the real index front-end server, but not sure this is the best way to fix (just maybe a workaround for restores to work)

I am not the Sharepoint admin, so I can't tell if dedicated a server for crawl is mandatory in our environment. And as these are the first GRT backups / restores tries, I don't know if this would have already worked before

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

DavidE31
Level 4

I think it's ok now, restore complete successfully and file restored

I read again the technotes dealing with status code 37 and found that the issue may have not be related to a specific Sharepoint configuration, but only related to the fact that BOTH server names (the FE dedicated to crawl client name AND the FE "usual" client name known by Netbackup) MUST be added in the server lists of the master server BAR GUI.