cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharepoint grt restore

mikent
Level 3

Hi, We have a master server running 7.5.0.4 on Linux x64 (RedHat6.2) with media server running Linux/windows (for Vmware backup) and appliances 5020 used for deduplication. We have Sharepoint 2010 environement with SQL 2012 on the backend. I have made several grt restore for sharepoint using netbackup but one question has been raised and would like to have your experience (or solution) : Does anyone have already rename an items or documents during grt restore? I am asking because there are some other tool like Avepoint that handle that kind of conflict. From the following link at pg27, it is called conflict resolution. This means if the resotre item or document already exist, the source item will be appended with a sufiix to solve this conflict and then the destination item will not be deleted or overwritte. http://www.avepoint.com/assets/pdf/sharepoint_user_guides/Granular_Backup_and_Restore_User_Guide.pdf I am really interrested to know if someone had to face such issue and how it was solve using netbackup. ./nathan

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I believe you are using NBU 7.5, so I am moving this to the NBU forum.

RLeon
   VIP   

In the Nbu Sharepoint admin guide, under the section Restore options for SharePoint Server on the Microsoft SharePoint tab, you will find the conflict handling restore options.
(It's on page 82 in the current version of the document)

Some of the terms/phrases the two products use are very different, but upon closer inspection, the effective outcome should be largely the same. However, this... other product... does appear to have more conflict resolution options, some of which are flexible conditionals, such as container merge, compare modify time, adding suffix, etc. In Nbu, the general approach to this kind of delicate operations is to redirect-restore the whole bunch elsewhere, then dig from there for what you need.

mikent
Level 3

Hi ,

@pkh,

Thnaks for your quick reply. Yes we are using NBU 7.5

@RLeon,

Thanks too for your quick reply.

I went through the Sharepoint admin guide already and test most of those options. I fully understand that dealing with that kind of operation is critical because Sharepoint items are not regular file system but record from database (SQL).

Manipulate such items mean a relational access to the database (BLOB) therefore it makes sense to me that 'renaming' an entire sharepoint item as we do with a regular file is not possible wich such policy but as you said workaround would be to re-direct to another destination (off-host ...) and manipulate the items from there but this is outside Netbackup.

Thank you RLeaon and pkh. I will leave this thread open but Rleon, you already confirm what is in my mind about this specific restore operation.

./nathan

RLeon
   VIP   

Taketh heed to thy BLOB. O mighty BLOB.

mikent
Level 3

@RLeon,

I did not fully understand what you wrote but this TECHNOTE is very usefull and clarify a lot of things ...