cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow backup speed

paulzahrai
Level 2

We are using netbackup 7.6.1 on a windows 2008 master server. Backups run fine except on two windows 2012 R2 physical servers. The speed we are getting is about 500 kb/sec.

Any idea what to look for? These are relatively small servers (less than 500 MB).

Thnaks

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Were the NICs and LAN switch ports already at 1Gb/s?

Or did you just change them?

Here's a tip:  I have seen HP NIC management tools which 'show' that the server NIC is configured at 1Gb/s, but you have to dig deeper in to the HP management tool GUI to show what was actually negotiated.  So, it is possible to look at the HP NIC management GUI and be told that the 'intended configuration' is 1Gb/s, but you need to view the actual 'negotiated configuration' to actually confirm whether the NIC did indeed actually manage to negotiate 1 Gb/s.  The same could thus be true for any other NIC management software.

Did you get your network admin to actually confirm the negotiated speed from the LAN switch?  If you give your network admin the MAC address from your NICs then they can work this out for you quite easily.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sdo

Those speeds are very typical of NICs that have auto-negotiated to 10Mb/s half duplex.

Set both LAN switch port and server NIC to fixed 1 Gb/s ?

Born2rise
Level 4

Hi,

I am totally agree with above post. Get in touch with Wintel and Network admin for NIC setting.

If that is not the case. Please provide more details on the issue.

how are you backing it up?

What is the storage you are using tape or Disk(Advance, Pure Disk or Basic Disk)

paulzahrai
Level 2

NIC has been set to 1gb/full. We are backing up to tape.

Thanks

Paul

Pritesh_Pisal
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Paul 

Just try to perform a copy operation from the client to media server and check the copy speed. 

nseniura
Level 3

Does the server have any other connections you can open up?  It has worked for me in the past to open a dedicated backup connection,  it prevents bottles necks so long as you inhibit anything else from trying to utlize it.

sdo

Were the NICs and LAN switch ports already at 1Gb/s?

Or did you just change them?

Here's a tip:  I have seen HP NIC management tools which 'show' that the server NIC is configured at 1Gb/s, but you have to dig deeper in to the HP management tool GUI to show what was actually negotiated.  So, it is possible to look at the HP NIC management GUI and be told that the 'intended configuration' is 1Gb/s, but you need to view the actual 'negotiated configuration' to actually confirm whether the NIC did indeed actually manage to negotiate 1 Gb/s.  The same could thus be true for any other NIC management software.

Did you get your network admin to actually confirm the negotiated speed from the LAN switch?  If you give your network admin the MAC address from your NICs then they can work this out for you quite easily.

Born2rise
Level 4

I know this is something related to network but some time below things work.

What is the version of netbackup client binaries installed on client.

Some time reinstallation works if already match with the master server version otherwise upgrade it to match with netbackup version of master server