cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapshots (Netbackup VS Backup Exec)

Stanleyj
Level 6
I am in the middle of implementing netbackup as our primary backup solution for our data center and i need some quidance on snapshots for local drives. We have been using backup exec on a few file servers for the drives that the company uses as file storage. It takes snapshots twice a day during working hours and these snaps are os effecient that you never see a blink in network. So what i need to see is if the vss shapshot technology bieng used by netbackup is essentially the same thing and if i can set it up to backup the drive on the same schedule?
2 REPLIES 2

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It sounds Storage App uses the same VSS to snapshot of your File Server twice a day.

You may use NBU NDMP option to stream those snapshots. But make sure your transport medium is enough to backup 1st snapshot before next is begun.

teiva-boy
Level 6

VSS is a Windows technology.  NetBackup, BackupExec etc all invoke VSS to take a snapshot of the local volume to quiesce and backup the volume.  Among other things like truncating logs for databases and such too.

Most Backup applications use the backup client software to do this, this is the VSS requestor.  SAN devices have their own hardware provider that can do this too.  You can have multiple requestors installed on a system with no issue.  CDP agents with SAN providers, and backup agents all working together (though not at the same time)

Make sure to uninstall or disable the BE client agent BEFORE installing the NBU client.