cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stand Alone Drive with tape loaded gives status 96

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
So I have a stand alone drive, with a tape loaded, that keeps giving me an error 96. It's a compaq sdlt 320 drive. There are no robotics or inventorying that needs to be done... So I'm a bit of a loss as to what is happening. It's a windows 2000 master/media server. It's using the OEM drivers. I haven't tried the veritas drivers yet. Anyway, suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
Where Cheesy 80s synth lives...
5 REPLIES 5

DavidParker
Level 6
An error 96 means that the server cannot allocate a new media to the pool that is requesting a media.
Check to make sure that the media you have in the drive is listed in the media section of Veritas. You may need to manually create the media. You may also need to label the media with Veritas.
Are you going to be rotating tapes in and out of this server or just use the same one?

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
make sure the drive and tape are set to the same type. Also make sure that the backup you are running is calling for the same volume pool as that the tape is set to.

zippy
Level 6
Alex,

Give em both points!

Why would you use a stand alone?

Dont forget to check the configuration for the standalone drive...

Go to media device management
scroll down to Standalone and right click on it then go to new volumes.

JD

DavidParker
Level 6
>
> Why would you use a stand alone?
>

We used standalone systems at my last job; we had 20+ locations, some of which were VERY small but with 56k or ISDN network connections. Not fast enough to backup over the WAN, so we had to install local backup servers. Granted, BackupExec would have been plenty, but the rest of the environment was NBU so we went with that for consistency. Each of these little sites had a batch of 'monday', 'tuesday', etc tapes that got rotated every couple weeks.

We'd get a 96 if the onsite person forgot to swap the tapes or wasn't there to do it.
Bit of a drag ...

zippy
Level 6
ahh yes your right i forgot about that, I have not managed stand alones in 4 years.

JD