cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start using BMR

pmc214
Level 5

Hello,

In laymens term, what is the process for to finally start using NBU 7.5.0.3 BMR.

We have had it a long time but it was never set up or used . I want to take advantage of it and hear what the basics are.

Thanks,

22 REPLIES 22

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

To the best of my knowledge, network boot on all of the supported BMR clients, with the exception of AIX, requires that the Booot Server be on the same subnet as the restoring client in order to acquire its boot image. The boot protocols are not routable.  BMR emulates all of the normal network boot actions of the native OS. This is for the Boot Server only.  The Master can be on a different subnet that is routable..

If using BMR media boot (ISO/CD/DVD) the client can be on any routable subnet/LAN. The BMR media SRT replaces the Boot Server and the Boot Server is never contacted for the restore.

jim_dalton
Level 6

More documents from Jaime can only be a good thing, it rather reinforces my point, especially "major overhaul" and "that one gets the customer confused"!

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

Jim:

The "major overhaul" is there to cover changes to base WinPE used in the 7.6 release but more so for visual content of the document. Few of my large number of articles have things like screen shots and figure panels. Adding them will help clarify certain things. Several other heavily used technical articles are getting the same treatment.

So 'pcm214', I have provided a rather large body of information for your use. I would think there is a solution to your question in all of that.