cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status 800 with frozen tapes

Johnathon_Banks
Level 2

I am currently having a problem with Netbackup 6.5.6 running on Server 2003. There have been a lot of failed jobs with the status of: Error nbjm(pid=2780) NBU status: 800, EMM status: The robotic library is not defined in EMM resource request failed(800). I try to restart the jobs but I instantly get this error message. I look under Media>robots>TLD1 and notice there are 3 frozen tapes. I unfreeze the tapes and the jobs seem to run. My question is why doesn't netbackup know to use other tapes in the library instead of trying to use the frozen ones and giving me a error status 800? Can i configure netbackup to use different tapes for different policies? The tapes will be rotated out but that only happens once a week, that means our backups failed all week because of the frozen tapes.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

NBU does know to use other tapes, something is preventing it.

Firstly, do you havea scratch pool, if so does it contain any tapes ?

If not, and you just assgn taes ino volume pools, does the vol pool have any free tapes ?

By default, NBU willl NOT mix backups wit different retention on the same tape, so it may look like you have a tape free, but it may hold backup with retention 1 month, but the ackups you are running have a retention of 1 week - it will need a diffeent tape.

You could configure a different volume pool for each policy, but NBU is not really designed to work like this - it is designed to have a load of tapes thrown at it, and to be left alone to manage the media itself.

However, when you have 'limited' tapes, I can understand this requirement.

If you look in ..netbackup/bin/support dir, there is a available_media script.  If you run this, it will show what is/ is not availale.

Martin