cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guys help !! I want to have deduplication

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

Guys help !!

I want to have deduplication in my environment.

What all basic things i need to have.

Please tell from the basics.

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What kind of deduplication?

3rd-party applicance such as Data Domain?

NBU Media Server Deduplication?

NBU Appliances?

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

whats the difference between these?

i guess 3rd-party applicance such as Data Domain.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

1.  Have you actually got a data domain device.

2.  Has your system been designed to have de-duplication

3.  Do you actually need de-duplication, or do you just want to add it because it is a feature.

Martin

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

i was expecting same question from him laugh

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

take a look on below URL

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3657

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Everything depends of your needs, for small size environment (1-10 Media Servers) you can use the Netbackup Deduplication or MSDP option, trick is to make the clients to run the deduplication if you put all the dedup load in the MSDP boxes they will underperform thats why this solution is not good for big environments.

For Medium Size Environment (11-30 Media Servers) you can use the Netbackup Appliances mixed with some MSDP will depend of budget here is the same tricket you let the 75% of the deduplication to run on the client side because if you let more than 40% of the dedup to run on any of the appliances or an MSDP box they will underperform and you will be force to add more devices, like I said it depends of budget

For Large Size Environment (31-60 Media Servers) DataDomain is the best option here you dont need to care of client deduplicating data this machines rule the deduping world, just to make a difference I have see 1 of this Devices to Backup 40TB in one night without a single complaint and duplicate the 40TB during the day without a problem (Using a VTL configuration which is worst setup for DD's) this is a 1200MB/sec throughput compared with MSDP or the NBU Appliances the most they will give you is around 140MB/sec, why becuause the Netbackup Deduplication is design to put most of the load on the client side which is a good idea because you distribute the load and for those clients that you cannot afford to do this you let the MSDP or Appliance do the deduping. Keep in my that if you add a DDBoost config in the DataDomains your speeds easily can up up to 3000MB/sec.

In Conclusion, if you are small get an MSDP solution is included in the Netbackup 7 license and plan well your storage if you have something big, go with the big guys.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Marianne
Level 6

I am surprised at this question - NIKHIL has asked SO MANY dedupe questions up to now....

PS: Yogesh, I LOVE that title!!! BEST thing that could ever happen to me!!!!

Marianne
Level 6

Excellent response, Omar, but what about NBU appliances?

Using NBU appliances all the latest and greatest features are supported. Even Client-side dedupe (not supported with 3rd-party appliances).

As far as 3rd-Party appliances are concerned, I feel that Quantum DXi is a very good option (better than DD). More of NBU advanced options are supported.

NIKHIL, please have a look at NBU Hardware Compatibility Guide - it will tell which features are supported by each type of dedupe device. Decide what is best for YOUR environment.

Another option would be to contact your NBU reseller. They (should) have experienced Solution Architects who can advise you on the best solution for YOUR environment.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Or maybe put in a request for a change to your TA badge - TG perhaps? 

Sorry for the inane comment, but that little bit of the thread made me laugh & I need a laugh....

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1. Hire a NetBackup administrator