cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status Code 129 - Disk is full error

jklems99
Level 3

I am currently on version 7.0 and i am getting Disk is full errors and a couple of backups. The location is given in the job log. When I go out to that location I do not see any logs or files pertaining to the backup in question. What is the best way to clean out the drive space in question and the best way to keep it cleaned up?

10 REPLIES 10

Will_Restore
Level 6

Recommended Action: Do the following, as appropriate:

Either free sufficient space or add more space to the file system for this storage

unit.

Lower the high capacity mark for this disk storage unit. Configure the policies

to access it through a storage unit group that provides alternative storage to

use when this storage unit fills up. Ideally, if an image exceeds the file systems

high capacity mark, it also completes successfully. This image leaves the

storage unit in a full state (over the high capacity mark). The storage unit then

is not assigned to other jobs until its capacity falls under its high capacity

mark.

If the Staging attribute is set on the disk storage unit that did not have enough

capacity, it may be unable to create free space. It cannot create space because

the backups that are staged to the disk are not relocated (eligible to be deleted

from the staging storage unit). Ensure that stagings relocation (duplication)

jobs successfully copy enough images to provide sufficient free space for new

backups.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What kind of DSU? Basic or Advanced? Is DSU a dedicated Lun for backups only? If Basic, do you have staging to tape in place? How often is staging schedule kicking off? If Advanced, do you have SLP in place to duplicate to tape? What is retention level/strategy for disk backup? Fixed? Try to keep?

jklems99
Level 3

Basic Disk, staging to tape is in place and it is scheduled for monday - friday between 3pm and 4pm.

Marianne
Level 6

Is that enough time to get ALL disk images duplicated to tape? Probably not? Resulting in status 129 because there are not enough duplicated disk backups that can be cleaned up to make space for new backups?

Best to schedule as soon as disk backups are done and shedule every 2 - 3 hours for entire day, up to an hour or so before backup window opens.

Relocation and cleanup behaviour is explained in these TNs (6.5 is same as 7.x behaviour):

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH44719

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66149

jklems99
Level 3

Thank you. What about advanced disk?

Marianne
Level 6

With Advanced Disk you can setup SLPs for duplication.
Different retentions can be chosen for disk and tape.
For disk there is a choice between fixed and 'try to keep time'.
Different priorities can be configured based on Data Classification.

SLP duplications cannot be scheduled - will automatically kick in shortly after backups.

SLP's explained in chapter 14 of NBU Admin Guide I.

jklems99
Level 3

I have checked and there are SLP's for the advanced disk. I checked the drive and the SLP's are working. I don't know what else to check or clean up. Do you have any other suggestions?

Will_Restore
Level 6

above you said  Basic Disk, staging to tape is in place

now you say  there are SLP's for the advanced disk

I hope you don't have both going to the same disk(s)

jklems99
Level 3

Sorry WR, but it is an advanced disk amd SLP's are working correctly.

Marianne
Level 6

In that case you need to check the backup to disk config in the SLP -
Fixed retention?
Staged capacity managed (try to keep)?
Expire after duplication?

Also - backup retention will initially be marked as 'Infinity'. Only when duplication has completed will actual retention be applied.

Oh - where does "scheduled for monday - friday between 3pm and 4pm"  fit in the picture? SLP's cannot be scheduled. Or is Bill correct - both DSSU and SLP configured?

Please read through chapter 14 of Admin Guide I. Links to all manuals in the 'Handy Links' in my signature.