Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status change for Windows box to Status 46

JHeaton
Level 6

NBU - 7.1

Master - Server 2008R2

Client - Server 2008R2

Thursday night, the incremental on this server went fine.

Friday night, the full backup failed.

Today, I still can't connect to the box, through NBU.

I look at the BPCD log and compare today's to Thursday's, and I see a definite difference.

Thursday's entry:

22:19:47.403 [7880.8556] <2> bpcd valid_server: comparing dfgbkup1.geo.dfg.ca.gov and dfgbkup1.geo.dfg.ca.gov
22:19:47.403 [7880.8556] <4> bpcd valid_server: hostname comparison succeeded

Today's entry:

11:22:15.481 [2908.2324] <2> bpcd valid_server: comparing dfgbkup1.geo.dfg.ca.gov and DFGBKUP1
11:22:15.483 [2908.2324] <4> bpcd valid_server: DFGBKUP1 is not a master server
11:22:15.483 [2908.2324] <16> bpcd valid_server: DFGBKUP1 is not a media server either

My question:

Why would it suddenly, and without any intervention, stop comparing FQDN to FQDN?  And, how do I get it changed back?  I've looked at BAR on the client, and it has the master server listed as FQDN, under the servers section.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems network and DNS admins are the same wherever you are in the world. The problem is NEVER on their side....

They can argue that bpclntcmd is a NBU command and therefore not their problem, but what are they saying about nslookup reverse lookup not working?

Check on the Windows servers and clients from cmd that 'ipconfig -all' reports correct DNS server(s).

Other than that, the choice is really yours - if you want your backups to go through, add hosts entries.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

does DNS still have forward and reverse lookup for your master server.

on your master server is it still listed as FQDN or has it been changed to short - check the system hostname as well as the master server name in the master server properties.

Marianne
Level 6

Check forward and reverse lookup in both directions - especially on client:

nslookup -ip <master-ip-address>
..\netbackup\bin\bpclntcmd -ip <master-ip-address>

DoubleEM
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Ever consider to fix the NBU master and client in host file?

JHeaton
Level 6

Sorry for the delay on these responses:

In the Master Server Properties:

Properties tab:  Host name = dfgbkup1

Servers tab:  Master server = dfgbkup1

I can't say with 100% certainty what these read last Thursday, but I don't think they've changed.  Most of the clients I backup are in the same domain as the master, so this short name would work.  However, the two Windows clients I'm having problems with are in a different domain, with a trust between them, and conditional forwarders pointing to each other in DNS.  In the domain that the master server resides in, there are forward and reverse lookup entries for the master server in DNS.  There aren't in the problem domain, but there haven't been the whole time.

JHeaton
Level 6

Marianne,

When I do an nslookup, I get the following:

From the client:

hqdc1.domain2 can't find 10.249.32.77:  Non-existent domain

From the master server:

modc04.domain1 can't find 10.249.35.30:  Non-existent domain

I have two Windows domains:

Domain1:  This is where the master server and most of the clients being backed up reside.

Domain2:  This is our new Windows domain, where my 2 clients having issues reside.

So, I'm having issues in both directions.  If I do an nslookup using the FQDN, it works in both directions.  Also, running the bpclntcmd -ip fails in both directions, but bpclntcmd -hn, using the fqdn, works in both directions.

I have spoken with all parties that have access to these machines, and none of them have claimed to have changed anything last Friday.  Short of adding the info in the HOSTS file, what can I do to fix this?

JHeaton
Level 6

I'd really rather not have to do that, seeing as these are both Windows domains, which should be easy to get working.  The main issue that I'm having is that nothing has changed, but now the jobs are failing.

Just doesn't make sense to me.

Marianne
Level 6

Seems network and DNS admins are the same wherever you are in the world. The problem is NEVER on their side....

They can argue that bpclntcmd is a NBU command and therefore not their problem, but what are they saying about nslookup reverse lookup not working?

Check on the Windows servers and clients from cmd that 'ipconfig -all' reports correct DNS server(s).

Other than that, the choice is really yours - if you want your backups to go through, add hosts entries.