cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status code 58 - No such file or directory (2).

MG1989
Level 3
Certified

Hi ,

Backups on a particular client is failing with error code 58.  Issue happened after client version upgrade.

Following are the observations.

Job Log from activity monitor:

Jul 6, 2012 4:43:41 PM - Error bpbrm (pid=xxxxx) cannot connect to <hostname>, No such file or directory (2)
Jul 6, 2012 4:44:03 PM - end writing
can't connect to client  (58)

Also when this happens the bpcd port states goes to CLOSE_WAITin the cient as below.

Did any one face this issue before?

What is the solutiont for this.

Thanks,

Murali.

5 REPLIES 5

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

This can be caused as follows:

CREDIT TO MARIANNE who posted this previously.

The reason for status 58 is normally when the client is unable to connect back.

NBU 6.x uses vnetd (13724) to connect to bpcd on client and client needs to connect back on same port. Linux clients often experience problems when its own firewall (iptables) is enabled. Check/confirm that iptables is disabled.

Client also needs to resolve server's incoming IP address to hostname that appears as SERVER in bp.conf.

Do the following to tests comms:

On client: create bpcd log folder under /usr/openv/logs

On master (as well as media server if different from master): run the following from cmd:
bptestbpcd -client <client-name> -verbose

Check in client's bpcd log if client is able to resolve server's IP address to hostname. See how the resolved name is compared with SERVER entries.

If client cannot resolve server name, check DNS or add /etc/hosts entry on client for the server.

Martin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As per Martin's post, we need to focus on client to troublesshoot.

Please tell which OS (and version) on client? What is new NBU version that was installed?
How was upgrade done?
Did you confirm that upgrade was successful?
What NBU processes/services are running on the client? (We can tell you what to check for if we know OS and NBU version.)

Please post client's bpcd log.

Corruptcache
Level 3

Hi ,

Though we have no upgrade on the client version , I am facing same issue of not connecting to client.

Error bpbrm (pid=xxxx) cannot connect to <host name>, No such file or directory (2)
can't connect to client  (58) .

I am not able to access Client host properties on  master (Cluster) , Cannot connect on socket is the status.

I verified ./bpclncmd - hn <client hostname> , ./bpclncmd -ip <client ip> on the master and it resolves both Host name and IP address. I can ping  the client from our media servers.

Environment :

Master : Linux 2.6 El5 , NBU version 7.1.0.4

Media : Linux 2.6 El5 , Nbu version  6.5.6

Client : Linux 2.6 El5 , NBU version 6.5.6

i ran bptestbpcd - client <client name> under admincmd and i got this

<16>bptestbpcd main: Function ConnectToBPCD(Client name) failed: 25
cannot connect on socket

Please Guide me if am missing thing.

epsilon22222
Level 4

Have you been able to connect before or is this a new client?

On your media server, is it able to resolve the client hostname via bpclntclmd? Pinging it doesn't mean that it will work alone, bpclntclmd needs to be able to resolve the hostname on each end. bptestbpcd also needs to work by utilizing the hostname resolution.  Same with the master server, make sure bpclntcmd resolves on both the client and the master (which you checked). 

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Login to the client, is bpcd listening?

netstat -a | egrep "bpcd|13872"

If so, can you telnet <client bpcd> from the Master?

Can you telnet <client bpcd> from the client? If yes but from the Master its not working, then a firewall could be blocking the incoming connection on the client - try turning it off.